Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amber Ales and Crystal/Caramel Malt  (Read 3020 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Amber Ales and Crystal/Caramel Malt
« on: January 31, 2023, 08:47:00 am »
I have been brewing amber ales lately.  At first I was making my own recipes from studying internet sources. They were good but not what I got from one local brewery. Then, I asked for that recipe and brewed it and then brewed Pizza Port Shark Bite Red (from morebeer.com). These two have 20% and 21% caramel malt in 1055-1060 OG recipes. That was more caramel malt than I ever dreamed of.  Shark Bite Red has 2.25 lbs. C80 and 0.5 lbs. C120 in 5 gallons. I knew it would be cloying for sure, but it isn’t. It finished at 1012 down from 1058 with US-05. It is approaching dry and crisp. 60 IBUs help, I am sure.

Both have been excellent amber ales. I really like the Shark Bite Red especially.

I am fearing caramel malt less these days…

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Amber Ales and Crystal/Caramel Malt
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 09:08:42 am »
My only rule about recipes is to use whatever you want to, in any quantity you want to, to achieve the result you want. It seems silly to otherwise limit yourself. The issue is not the ingredients,  it's the understanding of how to use them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 10:11:54 am »
I think that the bugaboo over caramel and crystal malts has been overstated.  I see them mostly in IPA's, but I can tolerate them in other styles, such as an amber.  Oddly, for my standard Helles recipe, I use a little Goldswaen Carahell (around 5-6%) and it  works out pretty well with an IBU to balance at around 18 IBU's.  Others may stick with a Munich or Vienna addition to the pils base as the "other than pils" malts...try it out and choose what tastes best.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 11:15:16 am »
I think that the bugaboo over caramel and crystal malts has been overstated.  I see them mostly in IPA's, but I can tolerate them in other styles, such as an amber.  Oddly, for my standard Helles recipe, I use a little Goldswaen Carahell (around 5-6%) and it  works out pretty well with an IBU to balance at around 18 IBU's.  Others may stick with a Munich or Vienna addition to the pils base as the "other than pils" malts...try it out and choose what tastes best.

Cheers!

I think it became trendy to diss crystal. All the cool kids were doing it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 12:00:52 pm »
I have no problem dissing the misuse of crystal.   :)

If you have the skill to balance crystal malt at or above 20%, I'm truly impressed.  Because not many can - at half that.

I think the backlash against crystal was WELL deserved because it was way overused, in my opinion.  Maybe, because of this backlash, it has made brewers re-think their crystal additions and use it a bit more evenhandedly nowadays.  Objection sustained, as I see it.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 01:38:39 pm »
I recall Pete’s having 20% C60 but Dave swore it wasn’t sweet. I never did brew that beer for fear of the C60

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3122.15

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 01:54:17 pm »
I recall Pete’s having 20% C60 but Dave swore it wasn’t sweet. I never did brew that beer for fear of the C60

I make several beers with that % of crystal or even a little more. If you know how to balance it, it can add flavor without being sweet.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 03:20:26 pm »

That’s where I was. I was afraid of more crystal because of the chatter online. Now I know better.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 07:59:17 am »
Crystal malt is kind of the defining ingredient for an Amber ale. I think that the idea that "too much Crystal malt" is going to lead to an overly sweet or cloying beer is an old brewer's myth dating back to times when many homebrewers were using extract + steeping grains and didn't necessarily have access to the quality of yeast that we have today. Underattenuated beer with a lot of crystal malt is pretty blah. A well-attenuated Amber ale with enough IBU's and hop character to balance the Crystal can make for a fantastic beer.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 08:57:00 am »
Crystal malt is kind of the defining ingredient for an Amber ale. I think that the idea that "too much Crystal malt" is going to lead to an overly sweet or cloying beer is an old brewer's myth dating back to times when many homebrewers were using extract + steeping grains and didn't necessarily have access to the quality of yeast that we have today. Underattenuated beer with a lot of crystal malt is pretty blah. A well-attenuated Amber ale with enough IBU's and hop character to balance the Crystal can make for a fantastic beer.

I agree, but that's the trick isn't it.  In my opinion, there are a lot more failures than success stories.  Maybe the pendulum is starting to swing in favor of more appropriate crystal usage, but I'll continue to be skeptical.  I've had too many overly sweet caramel/crystal beers.  Maybe it's me.  Could be.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 09:08:27 am »

I agree, but that's the trick isn't it.  In my opinion, there are a lot more failures than success stories.  Maybe the pendulum is starting to swing in favor of more appropriate crystal usage, but I'll continue to be skeptical.  I've had too many overly sweet caramel/crystal beers.  Maybe it's me.  Could be.

Which is how I developed my Waldo Lake Amber recipe.  Amber flavor, but not sweet. It was popular enough that a couple companies used to sell kits of itl

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 11:49:09 am »

I'm with ya
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 01:38:31 pm »

I'm with ya
I have had plenty of bad beers and made plenty myself. But, this thread was about good beers with lots of caramel malts ;)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 01:57:12 pm »

I'm with ya
I have had plenty of bad beers and made plenty myself. But, this thread was about good beers with lots of caramel malts ;)

Well...apologies for derailing here.  Cheers!

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 02:08:23 pm »
This article http://beertech.blogspot.com/2011/03/crystal-malt-experiment-attenuation.html is about an experiment with crystal malts. One of the conclusions is that steeping crystal malt yields sugars that are less fermentable than mashing. According to these results, extract brews with steeping grains may not be able to handle as much crystal as all-grain brews.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 02:12:26 pm by neuse »