Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carboy  (Read 1200 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Carboy
« on: February 02, 2023, 04:49:28 pm »
A house down the street had two 5 gallon glass carboys sitting in front of the house with a free sign on them. What the heck, I took them. If nothing else, they can store my cleaner and sanitizer for when I need them. I kinda like the idea of being able to see what is going on in the fermentation, so this should be fun. I know that glass can get slippery, so I am going to buy the straps to carry them. Also, I will need the racking cane to get them either into a bottling bucket or into the bottles or keg. Either way, free is free and I thought, why not. LOL. And now I can have up to 4 beers going at one time, now how's that, I can screw up 4 beers now instead of 2. LOL. Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No real point to my post other than I am on about 2 hour sleep and my second beer. LOL

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
Re: Carboy
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 06:18:53 pm »

No real point to my post other than I am on about 2 hour sleep and my second beer. LOL

Cheers! 

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 08:02:09 pm »
I started with a glass carboy but I would never recommend one to anyone now. There are now clear plastic (PET) ones that you can see into, have spigots on the bottom and are shatterproof. They also have wide mouths which make them easier to clean, and they are light enough to lift with one hand (when empty). My glass one went into the recycling bin years ago and I have never missed it.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 07:02:44 am »
I have several glass carboys and seldom use them any more.  Be careful!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 07:13:24 am »
Thanks for the input guys, I knew I was going to get some warnings.  They were free, so if they go in the recycle bin, so be it.  I will check out plastic ones.  I am just thinking it might be nice to see what is going on vs my buckets that are not clear.  But the buckets have worked out pretty well so far.  I am that guy that when it says free, i figure a way to use it.  LOL.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 07:17:18 am »
I used glass until I saw pictures of stitches in a persons hand reportedly caused by a glass carboy that broke while carrying. Now I use a clear PET Big Mouth Bubbler.

Be careful!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 07:52:25 am »
The handles that clamp on are meant for carrying an empty carboy only - don't use them with a full carboy.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 08:35:35 am »
Free is not a good deal if you end up with hospital bills
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 08:44:00 am »
I usually use a 7gal stainless fermenter., but I do have two 5gal glass carboys and use them reasonably often.  I typically use the carboys when I want to split the batch.  Right now I have 6 gal of stout split to 3gal in each carboy.  I am going to add 1oz medium toasted oak cubes to one and see if I like the difference.  I also use the split batches to compare two different yeasts, or make two similar beers with different ABVs or IBUs or dry hopping.  It works for me as a way to experiment and get two 3gal batches of different beers for one brew day.  I understand the concerns with glass carboys, but you can use precautions, gloves if necessary, and be careful.  Also, there are plenty of carriers like this one that may help.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermonstercarboy-carrier.html
Upstate South Carolina

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 09:03:53 am »
Nice!  I would have grabbed them too.

I also still use carboys.  Mainly for longer term storage (aging) of mead.  But in brewing I'll still rack to one if I'm doing a secondary addition of honey or invert or something.  I completely understand if some people prefer plastic containers.  But I have carboys, so I'll continue to use them.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 09:13:39 am »
I used to have three glass carboys. Now I have two. I bumped two that were full when setting a newly filled carboy next to an already filled carboy. Bumped mind you... not banged... not knocked... not hit... but just one little bump and they must have touched in just the right place because the entire bottom of one of them sheared off and 5+ gallons of beer ended up on the floor.

Which leads to another issue... a 5 gallon carboy will not be big enough to ferment in. There is just not enough headspace. You could use them for secondary if you have reason to take that step. Or you could use them for clarifying wine like I do. Otherwise they are just two big piles of dangerous glass shards that just haven't become glass shards yet.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 09:25:18 am »
Two kinds of carboys: broken ones and ones that are going to break.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 09:41:17 am »
I used to have three glass carboys. Now I have two. I bumped two that were full when setting a newly filled carboy next to an already filled carboy. Bumped mind you... not banged... not knocked... not hit... but just one little bump and they must have touched in just the right place because the entire bottom of one of them sheared off and 5+ gallons of beer ended up on the floor.

Which leads to another issue... a 5 gallon carboy will not be big enough to ferment in. There is just not enough headspace. You could use them for secondary if you have reason to take that step. Or you could use them for clarifying wine like I do. Otherwise they are just two big piles of dangerous glass shards that just haven't become glass shards yet.

I have had the same experience. Just barely touched them together, both shattered. Lost 10 gal. of double decocted pils. Got some minor cuts. I still have about a dozen but haven't used one in years.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 09:41:43 am »
Two kinds of carboys: broken ones and ones that are going to break.

THIS

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 09:44:01 am »
Agreed - I have two glass carboys and rarely use them...long term aging in bulk, but frankly I will usually now keg those batches, rather than risk the glass.  I have one in use that I am going to rack to keg soon.  I will probably recycle them both at that time.

I don't want the clean up of the mess, let alone take the chance of injury.  Be careful and keep them stored in separate cardboard boxes to reduce the likelihood of contact breakage.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"