Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Heating mat gave out - cooler than expected fermentation  (Read 493 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Heating mat gave out - cooler than expected fermentation
« on: February 05, 2023, 09:53:10 am »
My film type heating mat gave out mid fermentation and the ferment completed at 39F.  Surprisingly the ferment is nearing completion at day 8.  Slurry of Diamond used and pressure fermented initially at 12 psi, which dropped to about 6 psi as it cooled.

Just goes to show that the yeast is a pretty hardy microbe….I’ll see how it tastes and try to remeber to report back.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Heating mat gave out - cooler than expected fermentation
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 10:42:01 am »
Do you plan to do a diacetyl rest? I'd be worried that the yeast may not clean up after themselves with a sharp temperature drop at the tail end of fermentation.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 11:21:12 am »
Do you plan to do a diacetyl rest? I'd be worried that the yeast may not clean up after themselves with a sharp temperature drop at the tail end of fermentation.

If the yeast is given enough time to work, it will be fine. A diacetyl rest can be extended fermentation. You don't have to raise temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 11:22:04 am »
My film type heating mat gave out mid fermentation and the ferment completed at 39F.  Surprisingly the ferment is nearing completion at day 8.  Slurry of Diamond used and pressure fermented initially at 12 psi, which dropped to about 6 psi as it cooled.

Just goes to show that the yeast is a pretty hardy microbe….I’ll see how it tastes and try to remeber to report back.

I have found that just about any yeast will work well below the bottom end of the published temp range.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 05:38:41 pm »
I've had this happen a couple of times ... give it extra time unless you're absolutely confident you're at FG.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 08:55:40 am »
I checked the last 3 days (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) and it is done at 1.006.  I will rack it this week.  No need to cold crash!  Hopefully the flavor does as well as the fermentation....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"