Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Currently what's the oldest homebrew (batch & bottle aging) you have in storage?

I brew session beers only
less than 6 months
6 month - 1 year
1-2 year
2 - 4 years
5+ years

Author Topic: Aging Homebrew Poll  (Read 7163 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Aging Homebrew Poll
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 10:35:39 am »
I have a barleywine that's about 2.5 years old and am currently drinking an oak aged RIS that's about a year old.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

jaybeerman

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2010, 11:59:19 am »
I have a 3 year old mild...:D

I knew someone would, mmm tasty :D

boulderbrewer

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 09:26:51 pm »
It is almost 12 years old, I taped it and it was good but a bit oxidiezd

Offline devilpanda

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 12:54:04 pm »
I have nearly two cases of a 'bourbon barrel' porter that tasted terrible when I brewed it three years ago.  Threw both in the crawl space and forgot about them.  Pulled one out last month for s***s & giggles and couldn't believe how much the beer had improved.  Got me a 2nd place in Smoke & Wood-Aged category at the Chicago Beer Society's Spooky Brew comp.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 02:27:37 pm »
I have nearly two cases of a 'bourbon barrel' porter that tasted terrible when I brewed it three years ago.  Threw both in the crawl space and forgot about them.  Pulled one out last month for s***s & giggles and couldn't believe how much the beer had improved.  Got me a 2nd place in Smoke & Wood-Aged category at the Chicago Beer Society's Spooky Brew comp.

Congratulations! As I'd said before, aging beers for competition can be a big plus. In this case you started out with a 'reject' batch which improved greatly. Imagine what can happen when you age a good beer!
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

jaybeerman

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 11:20:15 pm »
Thanks to everyone who voted.  I’m very impressed with the numbers; it's good to see that some homebrewers (more than I would have guessed) still have the patience and wherewithal to properly age their homebrew.  I know it helps to have the time and room but the reward of cracking open a well aged homebrew far outweigh the hassle.  Now that I'm thoroughly jealous I'm ready to brew a couple big beers.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 05:11:24 am »
Thanks to everyone who voted.  I’m very impressed with the numbers; it's good to see that some homebrewers (more than I would have guessed) still have the patience and wherewithal to properly age their homebrew.  I know it helps to have the time and room but the reward of cracking open a well aged homebrew far outweigh the hassle.  Now that I'm thoroughly jealous I'm ready to brew a couple big beers.
I think there should be a distinction between "properly aged" and "not poured down the drain yet."
I never suggested that my really old homebrew was actually any good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

jaybeerman

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 12:06:35 pm »
I think there should be a distinction between "properly aged" and "not poured down the drain yet."
I never suggested that my really old homebrew was actually any good.

full agreement, you'll note that I used that language in my second post
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:20:24 pm by jaybeerman »