Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cooler Warping  (Read 4784 times)

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Cooler Warping
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:45:24 am »
Has anyone else had a problem with their rectangular cooler/mash tun warping; i.e. the lid not fitting quite tight, the walls a bit pushed out?  I have Coleman 70qt Xtreme.  I have done 5 ten gallon batches and am beginning to notice it.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Cooler Warping
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:51:59 am »
I have the same cooler but have not seen this.  I've done about 20 5 gallon batches in it so far. 

When not in use, where is it stored?  In direct sunlight or really hot location?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:02:09 am »
The walls of my cooler are definitely warped, but it doesn't effect the performance.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:03:22 am »
In my garage out of direct sunlight.  It never gets hot in there.  Our high desert nights stay cool even in the summer so the average temp remains in the low 60s in the summer.

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:15:05 am »
Good to know Denny-thanks.  Any concerns with the possibility of plastic/chemical leaching into the mash?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:23:27 am »
I have the Coleman Ultimate Extreme 58qt.  I haven't noticed any warping and the lid fits okay.  I'll take a closer look at it later today.
Ron Price

Offline henrythe9th

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:25:27 am »
I found that mine warped from adding to hot of water for preheating 180f,  I think if you keep it under 165 it would not warp.
Beer is Food and Water combined

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 10:35:41 am »
Mine will do it in the cooler months, but not in the heat of summer.  I considered putting a gasket around the lid to seal it better, but the problem did not persist and I never followed up. 

Never too much of an issue with holding heat.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:45:01 am »
Good to know Denny-thanks.  Any concerns with the possibility of plastic/chemical leaching into the mash?

Not really, although I have no direct evidence.  The interior is HDPE which isn't supposed to do that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 10:55:02 am »
I found that mine warped from adding to hot of water for preheating 180f,  I think if you keep it under 165 it would not warp.

A better way to do the preheat is to just heat your strike water 5-10 above your calculated strike temp.  Dump it in the cooler and wait.  As it preheats the cooler itself, it'll cool down some.  Once the water cools to strike temp, add the grain. 

No water/heat wasted, no warping the cooler, etc.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 11:10:59 am »
I have a Coleman Extreme 70qt. The lid warped, but not the sides. I don't think it is designed for the temps we use it at, but rather for cold temps only. Works good despite a consistent temp loss.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 01:53:22 pm »
I have a red Igloo that is warped.
I have a blue Coleman that is not warped.

It has to be the exterior color right?
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­