Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Equipment Cleaning Agents  (Read 2973 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Equipment Cleaning Agents
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 12:07:04 pm »
Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash - 5 lb
https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Meister-Oxygen-Brewery-Wash/dp/B074D9BXT8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2TNN20692SZ6I&keywords=oxygen+brewery+wash+5+lb&qid=1676630150&s=industrial&sprefix=oxygen+brewery+wash+5+lb%2Cindustrial%2C73&sr=1-1

Bar Keepers friend soft cleaner

Cheers

Or Alkaline brewery wash, which is even better.
No - it's plastic. But OxiClean should be fine for stainless afaik.

Actually oxygen based cleaners are problematic for soaking stainless.  That was the link I attached -  SS Brewtech warning against O2 cleaners on their stainless products.  YMMV, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 12:32:17 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Meister-Oxygen-Brewery-Wash/dp/B074D9BXT8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2TNN20692SZ6I&keywords=oxygen+brewery+wash+5+lb&qid=1676630150&s=industrial&sprefix=oxygen+brewery+wash+5+lb%2Cindustrial%2C73&sr=1-1

Cheers

Actually oxygen based cleaners are problematic for soaking stainless.  That was the link I attached -  SS Brewtech warning against O2 cleaners on their stainless products.  YMMV, of course.

I didn't get that out of your link.  There were some concerns with using OxiClean with high levels of Calcium in the water, but that was the only warning I saw.  Maybe I missed something.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 12:46:43 pm »

Cheers

I didn't get that out of your link.  There were some concerns with using OxiClean with high levels of Calcium in the water, but that was the only warning I saw.  Maybe I missed something.

I only use oxygen brewery wash to soak Speidel HDPE fermenters (& bottles),
and only Barkeepers Friend soft cleanser for SS brew kettles.
My standard SOP for every batch, and everything stripped down, cleaned,
then rinsed with Iodophor, and air dried on towel until next batch.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 10:44:19 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 12:52:07 pm »

Cheers

Sorry about that - it references chlorine, not O2.  I stand corrected on that point, but I still prefer the alkaline cleaner from Craftmeister. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2023, 08:30:00 am »

Cheers

Sorry about that - it references chlorine, not O2.  I stand corrected on that point, but I still prefer the alkaline cleaner from Craftmeister.
Unfortunately a lot of homebrew shops don't carry it. Where did you get yours?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2023, 08:41:12 am »

Cheers

Maybe on their equipment, but I've been using percarbonate cleaners on stainless for years without issue.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2023, 01:29:23 pm »
The real deal caustic, sodium hydroxide, 2% warm solution is also an option. Nothing cleans as well or is as cheap.
Just don't get it on you or especially in your eyes.

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2023, 06:31:04 pm »
The real deal caustic, sodium hydroxide, 2% warm solution is also an option. Nothing cleans as well or is as cheap.
Just don't get it on you or especially in your eyes.

+1  Best i have found for plate chillers and pump heads.  Ran different cleaners through my equipment, was amazed what crud came out with sodium hydroxide.  Just have to be careful using product.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2023, 06:40:56 pm »
I have been using the Alkaline Brewery Wash at Denny's recommendation and it works really well.  I run it thru my homemade bucket/keg washer and it seems to pull all the crap off.  It takes a bit of scrubbing to rinse it off though, but all in all, it is a good product.  But, with that said, it is a bit pricey.  I am thinking of trying the Oxyclean Free.  I can get double the amount for half the price and I am guessing as long as I practice good procedure it should be ok.  Gonna give it a try and see which works best.  Either way, there are plenty of products out there and even a do it yourself recipe.  I am just not smart enough to figure out the measurements on it.  LOL.  Either way, Rock On!!!!!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2023, 10:01:28 am »
PBW.  I've tried using Oxyclean in the past, but I've never had the same results as PBW.   
My $0.02

Oxyclean<PBW<Craft Meister Alkaline

Those work on organic material.

For beer stone and mineral buildup you need an acid.

Barkeeper's Friend or a Beer Stone remover.

You can also go to a farm supply store that sells an acid cleaner that removes milk stone.  It works well for beer stone and is relatively inexpensive.  I bought mine at a business that sells bulk milk tanks.  It has phosphoric and hydrochloric acids in it and works well without damaging the stainless steel. I also use it to remove beer stone from my kegs.  Obviously, you would use this after an alkaline cleanser like PBW or Craft Meister.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2023, 01:35:18 pm »
PBW.  I've tried using Oxyclean in the past, but I've never had the same results as PBW.   
My $0.02

You can also go to a farm supply store that sells an acid cleaner that removes milk stone.  It works well for beer stone and is relatively inexpensive.  I bought mine at a business that sells bulk milk tanks.  It has phosphoric and hydrochloric acids in it and works well without damaging the stainless steel. I also use it to remove beer stone from my kegs.  Obviously, you would use this after an alkaline cleanser like PBW or Craft Meister.
I'll look again around here. Not too many dairy farms left in my area so no luck at the farm store. Loads of horse farms though.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2023, 07:51:31 am »
My $0.02

I'll look again around here. Not too many dairy farms left in my area so no luck at the farm store. Loads of horse farms though.
I can't remember where I've heard it before, but I thought you could just use StarSan/Saniclean as a beer stone remover since they are acid based. I use BLC once or twice a year, but I've honestly never run into any beer stone issues in my kegs/lines/taps. I've always just chalked it up to my typical procedure of running PBW followed by Star San through all my kegs and lines whenever I change a keg (the Star San part in particular).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2023, 09:33:50 am »
My $0.02

I can't remember where I've heard it before, but I thought you could just use StarSan/Saniclean as a beer stone remover since they are acid based. I use BLC once or twice a year, but I've honestly never run into any beer stone issues in my kegs/lines/taps. I've always just chalked it up to my typical procedure of running PBW followed by Star San through all my kegs and lines whenever I change a keg (the Star San part in particular).
You can use StarSan but you need to make it at least double the regular strength to be a strong enough acid to clean beer stone. I did it once and it cleaned nicely but foamed so excessively that it was a pain. I got some in a sponge and the foam just would not rinse out. The non-foaming equivalent of StarSan, SaniClean, would be a better choice, but then if you are going to purchase something just to remove beer stone you should probably go with something designed for that. BLC is alkaline, not acid.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2023, 03:49:22 pm »
My $0.02

Hopefully it doesn't have any HCL in it since that is a no no with stainless. Chlorinated caustics do get used as a dairy cleaner/sanitizer and the pH may have an inhibiting effect. The best rule of thumb is keep chlorine away from your stainless.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2023, 10:44:22 am »
Over the weekend, I was cleaning some 375ml and 750ml bottles to cork and cage a Belgian Golden Strong I have in the fermenter.  Even after soaking them in hot PBW for 20-30 minutes (some even longer), I still noticed something in the bottle.  Most of what was left was just on one side from when the full bottle sat on a wine rack to seal the cork.  I'm wondering if I need to get a bottle brush inside there to remove what is only on one side , or if Craftmeister Alkaline Wash would be able to clean the bottles up.  Thoughts?

This reminds me again why I don't bottle very often anymore.