Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Equipment Cleaning Agents  (Read 2977 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Equipment Cleaning Agents
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2023, 12:19:05 pm »
Over the weekend, I was cleaning some 375ml and 750ml bottles to cork and cage a Belgian Golden Strong I have in the fermenter.  Even after soaking them in hot PBW for 20-30 minutes (some even longer), I still noticed something in the bottle.  Most of what was left was just on one side from when the full bottle sat on a wine rack to seal the cork.  I'm wondering if I need to get a bottle brush inside there to remove what is only on one side , or if Craftmeister Alkaline Wash would be able to clean the bottles up.  Thoughts?

This reminds me again why I don't bottle very often anymore.

All I can tell you is that ABW is much more effective than PBW. Of course, a brush is a sure thing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2023, 12:33:55 pm »
Over the weekend, I was cleaning some 375ml and 750ml bottles to cork and cage a Belgian Golden Strong I have in the fermenter.  Even after soaking them in hot PBW for 20-30 minutes (some even longer), I still noticed something in the bottle.  Most of what was left was just on one side from when the full bottle sat on a wine rack to seal the cork.  I'm wondering if I need to get a bottle brush inside there to remove what is only on one side , or if Craftmeister Alkaline Wash would be able to clean the bottles up.  Thoughts?

This reminds me again why I don't bottle very often anymore.

All I can tell you is that ABW is much more effective than PBW. Of course, a brush is a sure thing.
Papazian discussed bleach for cleaning glass - at a rate of 2 ounces in 5 gallons of cold water, with an overnight soak. (The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing, on page 123 if you want to read about it) He was discussing cleaning a carboy, but it works well for bottles. It's the best method I've found for cleaning bottles.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2023, 05:17:53 pm »
I use a combination of 80% Oxyclean Free and 20% Seventh Generation Free & Clear dishwashing powder. Works great and it’s cheap. Recommended sometime ago in this forum, but I can’t remember by who.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2023, 07:02:05 am »
PBW.  I've tried using Oxyclean in the past, but I've never had the same results as PBW.   
My $0.02

Oxyclean<PBW<Craft Meister Alkaline

Those work on organic material.

For beer stone and mineral buildup you need an acid.

Barkeeper's Friend or a Beer Stone remover.

You can also go to a farm supply store that sells an acid cleaner that removes milk stone.  It works well for beer stone and is relatively inexpensive.  I bought mine at a business that sells bulk milk tanks.  It has phosphoric and hydrochloric acids in it and works well without damaging the stainless steel. I also use it to remove beer stone from my kegs.  Obviously, you would use this after an alkaline cleanser like PBW or Craft Meister.
I'll look again around here. Not too many dairy farms left in my area so no luck at the farm store. Loads of horse farms though.
I can't remember where I've heard it before, but I thought you could just use StarSan/Saniclean as a beer stone remover since they are acid based. I use BLC once or twice a year, but I've honestly never run into any beer stone issues in my kegs/lines/taps. I've always just chalked it up to my typical procedure of running PBW followed by Star San through all my kegs and lines whenever I change a keg (the Star San part in particular).

Ericl BLC is sodium hydroxide which will dissolve anything that is organic.  It is not an acid cleaner so it will not remove beer stone.  Just an FYI.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2023, 07:11:23 am »
I use B Brite. Works great but thorough rinsing is definitely required.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2023, 06:40:09 am »
I have some ABW arriving this weekend, but in the meantime I may try some BLC and/or bleach (have both on hand) as I would really like to bottle this weekend. 

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2023, 09:49:04 am »
PBW.  I've tried using Oxyclean in the past, but I've never had the same results as PBW.   
My $0.02

Oxyclean<PBW<Craft Meister Alkaline

Those work on organic material.

For beer stone and mineral buildup you need an acid.

Barkeeper's Friend or a Beer Stone remover.

You can also go to a farm supply store that sells an acid cleaner that removes milk stone.  It works well for beer stone and is relatively inexpensive.  I bought mine at a business that sells bulk milk tanks.  It has phosphoric and hydrochloric acids in it and works well without damaging the stainless steel. I also use it to remove beer stone from my kegs.  Obviously, you would use this after an alkaline cleanser like PBW or Craft Meister.

Hopefully it doesn't have any HCL in it since that is a no no with stainless. Chlorinated caustics do get used as a dairy cleaner/sanitizer and the pH may have an inhibiting effect. The best rule of thumb is keep chlorine away from your stainless.

Just catching up on this thread.  You are right about chlorine Bilsch.  But since they use this in bulk milk tanks that could harbor bacteria if it would get pitted by chlorine they wouldn't be selling it.  The contact time is pretty low, as is the concentration, and I don't have to use it very often. IIRC, the product I am using also has a small amount of sulfuric acid in it as well.  But the major amount of it is phosphoric.  I will check the percentages when I get back home from FL.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2023, 02:27:45 pm »
Purchased some ABW and I am using it to clean bottles.  How long of a soak do you recommend to get them clean?  After about 30 minutes, it didn’t seem to remove the last of the deposits in the bottle. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 02:30:55 pm by waltsmalt »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2023, 03:44:43 pm »
Purchased some ABW and I am using it to clean bottles.  How long of a soak do you recommend to get them clean?  After about 30 minutes, it didn’t seem to remove the last of the deposits in the bottle.

I always leave it overnight since that's easiest for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2023, 02:46:51 am »

I had the same problem years ago, an overnight soak didn't work with some.
Using a bottle brush just left streaks/specs when held up to light. (22 oz brown bottles)
Once an overnight soak was done with a strong bleach/water solution it worked, then
followed by a thorough rinse, and then sanitized with a no rinse mix of Iodophor for storage.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=35068.msg441501;topicseen#msg441501

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 06:04:33 am by Fire Rooster »