Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What do you want your AHA Governing Committee to do for you?  (Read 18539 times)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: What do you want your AHA Governing Committee to do for you?
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2010, 04:42:35 pm »
on the topic of promoting craft beer to the Korean market..... as Denny said, that's beyond the scope of what the GC can do. It's beyond the scope of what the AHA can do ....on its own. But don't forget that the AHA is part of the BA umbrella. And this is not only within the scope of the BA, but it is actively working on promoting American craft beer on the world market. Perhaps not specifically to Korea, but certainly to Europe. And the scope of those efforts will likely widen as the initial efforts show some success.

It'd be great if the GC continues efforts to strenthen ties with our professional brethren. Those efforts were directly instrumental in the wildly successful ProAm category at the GABF. The GC rocks! Keep it up.

Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2010, 10:18:23 am »
Mark is right. The BA has a foreign out reach program that's looking at expanding the craft beer market internationally.

Much of the focus has been on Europe, but there have been some efforts with regards to China as well. Hey, it's not Korea, but its getting there!

From the GC's viewpoint, the main thing we do for these efforts is serve as cheerleaders and cheer we shall.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2010, 07:54:35 pm »
I would like to see the governing committee push the brewing schools and instituitions into accepting VA benefits for training!

I can't believe I can use my benefits to become a cosmotologist but not for technical training in brewing.

Who's in for an all-grain facial?!  :D

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2010, 07:34:29 am »
I would like to see the governing committee push the brewing schools and instituitions into accepting VA benefits for training!

I can't believe I can use my benefits to become a cosmotologist but not for technical training in brewing.

I've asked a friend to look into this.  Do you have a reference to a document that denies this?

We would need someone to push for this, similar to the committees/people working with legislation on making home-brewing legal in a state.

A vet on the GC
Fred
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 07:39:54 am by bonjour »
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2010, 09:40:01 am »
Once again, I'm not sure that's anything the GC can do, but we can certainly look into it to find out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2010, 03:44:11 pm »

I've asked a friend to look into this.  Do you have a reference to a document that denies this?

We would need someone to push for this, similar to the committees/people working with legislation on making home-brewing legal in a state.

A vet on the GC
Fred

Thanks,

There is no one central document but if you go to the following website (http://www.gibill.va.gov/resources/education-resources/find-a-school.html) and check only the schools that are listed are approved for attendance. I've personaly correspnded with the VA and associated schoolds and received the following responses:

UC Davis - Only for vets undergoing vocational rehabilitation; (Frankly this makes little sense to me)
Siebel - Not approved and they do not want to pursue approval according to their POC
American Brewers Guild - Not approved and they do not want to pursue approval according to their POC
MBAA - Not approved with the VA

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2010, 06:32:02 pm »
Looking at the link you sent
NCD (Non-College-Degree) Training

Not available under the Post-9/11 GI Bill

The GI Bill is available for training at Non-College-Degree Institutions, examples of this type of training are diploma vocational schools such as:

* HVAC Certification
        * Truck Driving
        * EMT Certification
        * Barber/Beautician School
from http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Benefit_Comparison_Chart.htm#NOTE5
5 Non College Degree (NCD) program. An NCD program offered at an IHL is approved. If offered at other than an IHL it is not approved.

From what I see UC Davis works thru the Food Sciences for brewing so that could be a possibility
Fred Bonjour

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2010, 06:56:02 pm »
Yes, UC Davis is an approved program. However, it is only for veterans under the rehabilitation program. If your a vet that's not undergoing rehabilitation unfortunately you're not eligible.

I also ran across what you quoted regarding non Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) training but according to the VA who I've contacted there are no approved brewers programs and thus no tuition assitance available.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2010, 07:28:27 pm »
VA programs are legislated.  The AHA cannot initiate a bill.  For that you or someone has to work with your reps in Washington to submit a bill.  The BA/AHA can supply information and such, and put out a rally call when appropriate, but you need to get it started
Fred Bonjour

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2010, 07:59:07 pm »
VA programs are legislated.  The AHA cannot initiate a bill.  For that you or someone has to work with your reps in Washington to submit a bill.  The BA/AHA can supply information and such, and put out a rally call when appropriate, but you need to get it started

Understand that, but it's not necessarily a bill that needs to be initiated. The brewing schools just need to work with the VA to submit their applications so they can be approved to accept VA benefits. The governing comittee just needs to work with the schools to try and convince them this is a worthy cause and will not only benefit veterans but also benefit their instituitions while furthering the art and science of brewing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:01:34 pm by jwaldner »