Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation tablets for hard cider?  (Read 447 times)

Offline Dfitts1984

• 1st Kit
Carbonation tablets for hard cider?
« on: March 02, 2023, 10:24:48 am »
Hi, im going to be making a hard cider and was wondering if anyone has used these tablets before?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Carbonation tablets for hard cider?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 11:05:36 am »
I've used some (there are different brands) in a beer with poor results.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 12:42:04 pm »
I haven't used them in cider, but I see no reason why they wouldn't work as well as they do in beer. I have had good results with the Coopers carbonation drops (the ones that are like hard candy), although the carbonation ends up a little on the higher side (about 2.7 volumes of CO2, IIRC).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 01:58:38 pm »
Not for cider, but I've also used the carbonation drops with very good results in a few different beers.  So simple, can't imagine ever bottling with anything else.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 02:01:06 pm »

One thing that will be different for a cider is that you can't stabilize and back-sweeten if you need the yeast to be active for the natural carbonation.  But if you're aiming for a truly dry cider, I've used Cooper's carb drops successfully.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 08:18:23 am »
I will also add that I have used them in all my bottled beers and have been happy with them.  The last batch did come out a bit bubbly, but other than that, I think they are great and easy to use. 

I was also wondering about using them in cider.  I am going to give it a try one day and figure that they would be best and easiest.  I might split the batch and carb one half and leave the other alone.