Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tasting a 9-year old barleywine  (Read 1088 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Tasting a 9-year old barleywine
« on: February 26, 2023, 03:14:11 am »
I recently opened a bottle of English barleywine that I brewed 9 years ago. I have to be honest, I am really surprised with how well it has held up over the years. I think it's been at least 4 or 5 years since the last bottle I opened, and the only major difference I noticed was that the hop bitterness has faded significantly. Unfortunately, it still has a bit of a husky astringency that has faded slightly, but not to the extent I had hoped. I'm glad I decided to bulk age this in a keg and bottle from there rather than bottle condition, because there is none of the autolyzed soy sauce flavor that I get from old bottle-conditioned beer. There is certainly some oxidized character, but (probably because this beer attenuated quite well 1.142 OG > 1.024 FG) it's not a real cloying caramel/raisin/sherry note; it's more like port and dried cherries. I'm looking forward to checking back in on this one next year for its 10th anniversary.

If you haven't brewed a big barleywine for aging, you should give it a try. Your future self will thank you. And if you have one tucked away in the cellar, give it a try if you haven't checked in on it recently.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Tasting a 9-year old barleywine
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 07:13:46 am »
I also have a 9 year old English Barleywine at home.  I open a bottle every once in a while and it is still pretty amazing.  My brew buddy and I make one every year and the '14 won two best of shows in a competition when it was 4 years old.  They definitely age very well.  The American style loses hop bitterness and aroma pretty quickly when aging but is still good.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline pv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 09:11:38 am »
9 years is awesome willpower.  I am struggling not to touch a 9% Bourbon Oatmeal Stout from 3 1/2 years ago.  It is my oldest bottle, and it will be compared to the batch I just made in January which is now in the bottle conditioning.  Patience is a challenge.  I need to find a way to hide some on myself.  Time capsule in my yard?
Upstate South Carolina

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 02:34:24 pm »
I recently opened a bottle of English barleywine that I brewed 9 years ago. I have to be honest, I am really surprised with how well it has held up over the years. I think it's been at least 4 or 5 years since the last bottle I opened, and the only major difference I noticed was that the hop bitterness has faded significantly. Unfortunately, it still has a bit of a husky astringency that has faded slightly, but not to the extent I had hoped. I'm glad I decided to bulk age this in a keg and bottle from there rather than bottle condition, because there is none of the autolyzed soy sauce flavor that I get from old bottle-conditioned beer. There is certainly some oxidized character, but (probably because this beer attenuated quite well 1.142 OG > 1.024 FG) it's not a real cloying caramel/raisin/sherry note; it's more like port and dried cherries. I'm looking forward to checking back in on this one next year for its 10th anniversary.

If you haven't brewed a big barleywine for aging, you should give it a try. Your future self will thank you. And if you have one tucked away in the cellar, give it a try if you haven't checked in on it recently.

appreciated notes on a project.

re: bottle conditioning, i did a RIS in bottles where i hit a very low carbonation i enjoy. ive been theorizing on big beers over the past few months since i made a big one in early 2022. thomas hardy afaik has almost no carbonation if im not mistaken (been more than a decade since ive had it), and i actually enjoy those heavy, old fashioned barley wines. im thinking clearing out the beer well, and going for extremely low carbonation and added sugar (~25g for a 5 gallon batch) should keep out the yeast autolysis issues you describe?

also what yeast was it?

9 years is awesome willpower.  I am struggling not to touch a 9% Bourbon Oatmeal Stout from 3 1/2 years ago.  It is my oldest bottle, and it will be compared to the batch I just made in January which is now in the bottle conditioning.  Patience is a challenge.  I need to find a way to hide some on myself.  Time capsule in my yard?

imho from my experience of having these "oh no just a few left... i cant waste it." thoughts - just do it, and make another one.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 04:02:58 pm »
In my experience, I prefer bottle conditioning for long aged beers. I have made an American Barleywine every year for the past 16 years and I have never gotten soy sauce flavors. I used a beer gun before and that beer was an oxidized mess after a year and a half. The oldest that I’ve had was a 10 year that was very drinkable with sherry notes from oxidation. I think the sweet spot is the 3-5 year range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 08:25:36 am »
In my experience, I prefer bottle conditioning for long aged beers. I have made an American Barleywine every year for the past 16 years and I have never gotten soy sauce flavors. I used a beer gun before and that beer was an oxidized mess after a year and a half. The oldest that I’ve had was a 10 year that was very drinkable with sherry notes from oxidation. I think the sweet spot is the 3-5 year range.

Interesting to hear this. 

For all those that make Barleywines, what are your experiences with the timing?  Obviously not all Barleywines are created equal and I'm sure they don't follow the same sweet spot curve.  But are there clear signs of improvement and then after a certain point the flaws start becoming obvious?  I ask because I started my annual bottle conditioned BW collection 2 years ago and so far, I can't pick up any obvious changes to the 2021 beer.  Maybe a bit more mellow, but flavor and aroma are essentially the same.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 08:36:34 am »
Years ago I entered a British barleywine in a competition and got mediocre scores (mid 30s). "Too hoppy for style." A year later it scored in the low 40s and got second in BOS.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 08:43:29 am »

For all those that make Barleywines, what are your experiences with the timing?  Obviously not all Barleywines are created equal and I'm sure they don't follow the same sweet spot curve.  But are there clear signs of improvement and then after a certain point the flaws start becoming obvious?  I ask because I started my annual bottle conditioned BW collection 2 years ago and so far, I can't pick up any obvious changes to the 2021 beer.  Maybe a bit more mellow, but flavor and aroma are essentially the same.

The thing I noticed with my English versions is that they get more sherry like after about 4 years which enhanced the flavor.  I have not noticed and off flavors like excessive oxidation (cardboard, etc.) in them as they got more age on them.  We made one in 2015 that was 15.5% ABV and it got a bit more alcohol bite as it aged and was not as smooth and mellow.  The lower ABV ones run about 10-12%.  Just my 0.02.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 09:01:28 am »

I took gold at our state fair comp with an American BW that was just over 5 years old. One of the comments was "oxidation has been very good to this beer".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 09:10:47 am »
Years ago I entered a British barleywine in a competition and got mediocre scores (mid 30s). "Too hoppy for style." A year later it scored in the low 40s and got second in BOS.

Pretty funny.
Were you able to notice the difference in the beer or is this just a case of judges tasting things differently?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 10:28:33 am »

appreciated notes on a project.

re: bottle conditioning, i did a RIS in bottles where i hit a very low carbonation i enjoy. ive been theorizing on big beers over the past few months since i made a big one in early 2022. thomas hardy afaik has almost no carbonation if im not mistaken (been more than a decade since ive had it), and i actually enjoy those heavy, old fashioned barley wines. im thinking clearing out the beer well, and going for extremely low carbonation and added sugar (~25g for a 5 gallon batch) should keep out the yeast autolysis issues you describe?

also what yeast was it?
Autolysis seems to be hit or miss, both with my own beers and commercial beers, so to me it was just an insurance policy with the thought that less yeast in the bottle would run less of a risk of autolysis. Your plan should work fine, I think.

The yeast was WLP037 (Yorkshire Square - a White Labs limited release, and allegedly from Samuel Smith's). I stepped it up from a low gravity bitter, to a 1.060ish Old Peculier-style old ale, then I used the full cake from the old ale for the 1.142 Barleywine. I fermented it open with 2 extra shots of pure O2 in addition.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 08:29:40 am »
I had one I let go for about 10 years. I learned what autolysis tastes like :'( It had been pretty good in the 5-7 year range, though.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 10:14:43 am »
i wonder what effect pH at bottling has on aging a beer.

and how or if pH changes over time

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 05:25:29 am »
i wonder what effect pH at bottling has on aging a beer.

and how or if pH changes over time
That's really an interesting question. If I had to guess, I would assume it goes up. It would certainly have an effect on aging whether it went up or down.

Offline QueenOfAllBeer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 03:45:44 pm »
I have a BW I brewed in in 2013 I'm planning to bring to HomebrewCon - along with some other whales.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 05:37:05 pm by QueenOfAllBeer »
Mongo like candy....