Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Porter FG 1.02  (Read 4104 times)

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Porter FG 1.02
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:49:28 pm »
Hi All - I brewed a True Brew Porter over 2 weeks ago. "Visible" fermentation lasted about 4 days. After that I saw no activity in the air lock but decided to leave it in the fermenter for a total of 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I took an FG reading and it was 1.02. Seeing as how the instructions said to expect an FG of 1.014, I decided to wait it out a few more days and took 3 more reading (each reading 1 day apart). All of the readings were 1.02. Convinced it was done fermenting I decided to bottle, especially because porters are known to come out a little higher in the end. Well, I opened one up after 3 days and of course it was a gusher. This happened with my first batch, but after the bottles had time to condition they properly carbed up. Even though, I still can't help but feel like maybe I had a stuck fermentation on my hands and didn't realize it. My main question is this - is 6 points off on the FG a big deal?? Could I potentially have exploding bottles on my hands??? Thanks!
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Porter FG 1.02
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:54:05 am »
With 2 weeks in the fermenter and a consistent gravity reading after that, I'd _guess_ it was done.  But I don't know how to explain your gushers.  Were the bottles cold when you opened them?  How much priming sugar did you use?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:57:36 am »
Hi Denny - thanks for the reply. The beers were warm and I used all the sugar that came with the kit. So I don't think it was a case of too much sugar.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:59:04 am »
Try chilling one.  CO2 comes out of solution much more readily in warm liquids than cold.  If you chill them, you may find you don't have gushers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:06:38 am »
I'll give that a shot. Thanks again!

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 03:17:11 pm »
Try measuring your gravity from a bottle. If your gravity dropped below 1.02, then your fermentation may have been stuck and the primer got it going again. Just a thought...
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 05:58:42 pm »
Just wanted to update everyone on this Porter. It turned out great! Nice big head, great aroma, fantastic flavor. The few extra points on the FG didn't really seem to matter. 4 more weeks till my English Brown Ale is ready!