Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator Issues  (Read 488 times)

Offline Lager74

• 1st Kit
Kegerator Issues
« on: March 04, 2023, 10:31:55 am »
Help - not sure where to go.

I recently converted my kegerator to a 2 tap dispense system (one regulator for 2 sixtels)

Upon doing so - if I put the pressure where I used to keep it when I had one tap - 12 PSI - the one pours fine - but the other is all foam - if I reduce the pressure to 5 psi it works fine but pours slow.

I tried degassing the kegs and repressurizing - but the highest I can go on pressure is 5 psi before weird things start happening - I should mention that the one that gives  me issues is almost empty (the one that foams at 12 psi).  Is my regulator having problems with 2 taps (it was made for that purpose) or is this normal. I’d even be happy to get a separate tank for the other with its own regulator if that’s the solution.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: Kegerator Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 10:35:29 am »
Help - not sure where to go.

I recently converted my kegerator to a 2 tap dispense system (one regulator for 2 sixtels)

Upon doing so - if I put the pressure where I used to keep it when I had one tap - 12 PSI - the one pours fine - but the other is all foam - if I reduce the pressure to 5 psi it works fine but pours slow.

I tried degassing the kegs and repressurizing - but the highest I can go on pressure is 5 psi before weird things start happening - I should mention that the one that gives  me issues is almost empty (the one that foams at 12 psi).  Is my regulator having problems with 2 taps (it was made for that purpose) or is this normal. I’d even be happy to get a separate tank for the other with its own regulator if that’s the solution.
What's the pressure of each keg?
Provide temperature too.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 11:13:31 am »
If the beer lines to each tap are unequal in length, then it will be hard to balance the system.  Does the foaming tap have the shortest beer line?

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 08:33:59 am »
If the beer lines to each tap are unequal in length, then it will be hard to balance the system.  Does the foaming tap have the shortest beer line?

Totally agree.  The other thing that could be a problem is foaming until the tap cools down to beer temp.  My lines are all the same length but sometimes my IPA's will foam with the first pour until the temperature in the tap equalizes to that of the keg.  I serve all my beers at 8 PSI which also helps.

I also notice that the IPA's foam a bit more when I am near the bottom of the keg which is a good indicator that I will finish off the keg shortly.

One other thing. If the keg is over carbonated it will foam, but you already know that.  If you still have problems after resolving the other issues, bleed off the head pressure from the keg, remove it from the keezer and rap on it gently with a rubber mallet.  That will bring some of the excessive carbonation out of solution (think of what happens when you drop a can of beer and then try to open it right away).  You can repeat thee process of bleeding and rapping to remove additional carbonation.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 08:43:08 am by goose »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified