Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When and how to add fruit juice  (Read 678 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
When and how to add fruit juice
« on: March 05, 2023, 11:16:56 am »
In May, I'm making a watermelon gose and would like to add fresh watermelon juice. I've found varying opinions on when to add this. For those recommending secondary,  how do you do so without infection? Thanks
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: When and how to add fruit juice
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 11:23:29 am »
There's no reason secondary should produce an infection if you know what you're doing. Be prepared to use a lot of watermelon juice. The flavor is very subtle and ferments out. Truthfully my recommendation would be to look for a good quality watermelon extract. If you use juice, add it post primary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 11:28:14 am »
Thinking I know what I'm doing is a significant assumption
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 11:33:22 am »
Very interested in this.  I have been toying with making an Apricot wheat and just have not pulled the trigger on it yet.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 02:37:05 pm »
how do you do so without infection?

When adding the juice you can add some potassium metabisulfite (campden tablet) as well.  That will help protect from infection and also oxidation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 02:39:34 pm »
Very interested in this.  I have been toying with making an Apricot wheat and just have not pulled the trigger on it yet.

I've been testing some fruit purees from a company called Boiron. They're very good.  The apricot was especially excellent. You might want to look for it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 05:03:08 am »

I've been testing some fruit purees from a company called Boiron. They're very good.  The apricot was especially excellent. You might want to look for it.
How does there fruit purees compare with Oregon fruit puree?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 08:33:54 am »

How does there fruit purees compare with Oregon fruit puree?

I think I like it better, but it's been a long time since I've used the OFP.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 09:48:42 am »
I'm always interested in this topic because I've had some fruit beers on my list of things to make but my past efforts always turned out poorly.  Each fruit is different in its flavor and strength and I could see watermelon requiring A LOT of juice because it's subtle.  The thing I always mention is the sugar in the fruit/juice kicking up a secondary fermentation and drying out the beer.  The other part is what you want the fruit to do for you... do you want the beer to be sweet, tart, dry, etc?  There are so many variables that I end up thinking about what Denny suggested... use an extract.  There are places like Olive Nation that make high-quality extracts in many, many flavors.  Every time you see a beer like a chocolate peanut butter stout or a toasted-marshmallow porter... you can assume it's made with an extract. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.