Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I’m new to Brewing. Is the color of my wort supposed to look like this?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline rpfelder69

• 1st Kit

This is the color my wort just before the Diacetyl Rest.   I was not expecting it to be clear, but was not expecting it to be this hazy either.  Am I worrying too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

This is the color my wort just before the Diacetyl Rest.   I was not expecting it to be clear, but was not expecting it to be this hazy either.  Am I worrying too much?

You’re worrying too much. It has yeast in it. It will clear in the bottle or keg. It will clear best when cold (don’t chill until after that diacetyl rest).

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
It looks good.  Just needs more time.  It will clear up in another week or two or three.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
it will clear with time, and even if for whatever reason it doesn't... it is just hazy!

is this your first beer brewed?
what yeast did you use? some yeasts tend to be slower at clearing out than others

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Why are you doing a diacetyl rest?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rpfelder69

• 1st Kit
it will clear with time, and even if for whatever reason it doesn't... it is just hazy!

is this your first beer brewed?
what yeast did you use? some yeasts tend to be slower at clearing out than others

It is my second beer brewed.   I used LalBrew Diamond Lager Yeast.

Offline rpfelder69

• 1st Kit

The recipe is for an American Lager.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

OK. Doesn't necessarily mean you need a d rest. Especially with that yeast.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rpfelder69

• 1st Kit

OK. Doesn't necessarily mean you need a d rest. Especially with that yeast.

Honestly, this is my second batch of beer ever.  I'm very comfortable stating, "I have no idea what I am doing, but here we go."    :)   I read that I needed to do a D Rest to get rid of the buttery flavors when brewing a Lager, so that is why I am doing it.  I am totally open to learning from those who are more experienced than me.  And at this point in my brewing life is pretty much anyone.  So how can you tell when you need to do a D Rest and when you can skip it?

Offline ynotbrusum

A D-rest is often unnecessary, if you pitched sufficient yeast.  Taste the green beer or at least smell it to see if you can detect diacetyl.  Also, if you are blind to the taste, try to determine if there is a slick mouthfeel to the beer.  I have to work backward from mouthfeel to detect diacetyl in low concentration.  It doesn't always come through to people as buttered popcorn, but it has a similar flavor, aroma and mouthfeel as buttered popcorn to most people who are not blind to it.

You can look into a forced diacetyl aroma test which involves heating a sample and comparing its aroma to an unheated sample of the same beer - it usually stands out to most people when they do that.  If the aroma is the same, then diacetyl is not a problem to be remedied.

Finally, diacetyl can go away with time, regardless of temperature - but it can also re-appear due to an infection (by say, pediococcus).  Welcome to the forum.  I am sure others will provide more details.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster

Finally, diacetyl can go away with time, regardless of temperature - but it can also re-appear due to an infection

or from hop creep lol

Offline tommymorris

… or you can just be patient and do a diacetyl rest. It’s easy.

Fire Rooster

I would not be concerned with a haze.
My brews range from medium haze to crystal clear,
and hasn't been an indication on the quality of brew.
I've had great tasting brews either hazy or clear.
So much other stuff to focus on, haze would be my last one.
The pretty clear look can be deceiving.

Cheers, and welcome

Offline BrewBama

As the lowest scored characteristic, the Beer Judge Certification Program would seem to agree that appearance takes a significant back seat to flavor and aroma. It even comes in under mouthfeel on their scoresheet.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

Finally, diacetyl can go away with time, regardless of temperature - but it can also re-appear due to an infection

or from hop creep lol

Which almost never happens

www.dennybrew.com