Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lorann flavor oils in alcohol?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Dfitts1984

• 1st Kit
Lorann flavor oils in alcohol?
« on: March 14, 2023, 09:44:45 am »
Hi guys! New here and have a question in regards to the Lorann flavor oils. I have heard its been said that you can use these in alcohol. The real question is what ratio? Has anyone tried it? I have a collection of 1 dram bottles. If i for say take 32 oz of vodka and wanted to achieve a cotton candy taste, how much would i need without overduing it? Thanks for the help.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lorann flavor oils in alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 09:52:33 am »
Hi guys! New here and have a question in regards to the Lorann flavor oils. I have heard its been said that you can use these in alcohol. The real question is what ratio? Has anyone tried it? I have a collection of 1 dram bottles. If i for say take 32 oz of vodka and wanted to achieve a cotton candy taste, how much would i need without overduing it? Thanks for the help.

Try different amounts in a glass of whatever until you hit the amount you like. You can scale from there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Lorann flavor oils in alcohol?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 11:14:46 am »
Lorann makes both oils and flavorings. I would look at the flavorings, which are probably better suited for coming up with a cotton candy flavor. Oils don't mix especially well with alcohol (or water, and most vodka is 60% water) so you may end up with a slick of flavoring on top and not much flavor in the vodka. Their flavorings taste a lot like what is used in La Croix.

I don't have a specific suggestion on volume but you want to use a lot less than you think. I carb up a five gallon keg of water with these flavorings sometimes. I use between half to one teaspoon per five gallons of water depending on how aggressively I want the flavor. You probably want the vodka more aggressively flavored for mixing though. I would try sacrificing like four ounces to working up a recipe you like. Trying to do it one ounce at a time might be hard to measure out a small enough volume of flavoring unless you have some extremely small droppers. If you start small you can always add but never take away.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing