Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tried experimenting just for fun  (Read 1268 times)

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
Tried experimenting just for fun
« on: March 21, 2023, 08:54:02 pm »
I thought I'd have some fun and add some extra grain and dme to NB Caribou Slobber extract recipe. Below is what the kit has in it and below is what all I ordered. I only used .5lbs of the chocolate malt (in addition to the grain in the kit) and used the entire extra lb of the dme. I steeped the grains at 165'ish for 30 minutes. Brought the wort to a boil and added all lme and dme followed by the hops per the recipe. I used 1 pack of yeast. My OG was 1.06 (using hydrometer). The fermentation went nuts for half a day or so and the krausen reached the lid of my 6.5 gal fancy NB bucket. 2 days later the G is 1.02. Just wondering if I should have added another yeast packet? Maybe I'm ok with 1 and I just let it do it's thing in the primary for another 5 days or so? I need to rack it to my secondary on Sunday before I leave for a week and a half for a business trip. Or maybe I just leave it ferment in the primary (it would then be in the primary for 2.5 weeks before I would transfer to the secondary)? I gave it a sip when I checked the gravity and it has some body (finally!). This is only my 5th brew so I'm still a noob.

Simply looking for some feedback if I did something wrong, correct, or just roll with it?

TIA - Mike

Kit instructions pdf:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/6868/t/3/assets/CaribouSlobber-1526673747421.pdf?528002487593717657

KIT INVENTORY:

MAILLARD MALTSTM
SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.25 lbs Briess Caramel 80L
- 0.25 lbs Fawcett Pale Chocolate
- 0.125 lbs Black Malt
MAILLARD MALTSTM
EXTRACTS & OTHER FERMENTABLES
- 6 lbs Amber malt syrup
- 1 lbs Amber dry malt extract
HOPTIMUS REXTM
PREMIUM HOPS
& OTHER FLAVORINGS
- 1 oz US Goldings (60 min)
- 1 oz Liberty (45 min)
- 1 oz Willamette (15 min)

1 pkt LalBrew® Windsor British Ale Dry Yeast

My additions:
- 1lb Briess Traditional Dark DME
- .5lb Chocolate Malt - Briess (crushed)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 09:00:43 pm by MDilly »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 05:12:32 am »
This is a great experiment. You’ll learn a lot from it.

According to the mfr’s calculator you did underpitch but but only by a cpl grams. Windsor is known as a low attenuator meaning it doesn’t ferment all the available sugars the way another yeast would. (It does not metabolize maltotriose) That means it will leave a higher finishing gravity. 1.020 is probably it.

One other thing to consider: when you add to the fermentables you may want to increase bitterness as well. Increasing (or decreasing) one and not the other can cause an imbalance: too much or not enough sweetness, or the opposite: too much or not enough bitterness. This balance is a matter of taste. You learn what you like thru further experimentation.

As far as secondary, I’d say your beer is or is very nearly complete. I recommend packaging it before you leave if you can. Skip the secondary. If you bottle it’ll secondary in the bottle. If you keg it’ll secondary there.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:13:19 am by BrewBama »

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
Re: Tried experimenting just for fun
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 07:41:56 am »
Thanks for the feedback BrewBama!  Exactly the type of input and tidbits of advice I was looking for.  Didn't think about adding more hops but I'll definitely keep that in mind for my next experiment.

Do you think I should try to re-pitch more yeast?  I could add thru my blow off thru fitting to minimize O2 introduction.  The beer was pretty cloudy when I checked the gravity but kinda expected that this early in the game.

I do keg and will secondary in that (that's how I typically secondary) for the time I am away for business.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 08:48:53 am »
I agree it is very likely finished fermenting, but if bottling, I would leave it until after the trip to make sure it is finished. I have an aversion to bottle bombs. I would also check gravity twice, three days apart, to see if gravity is stable before bottling. If kegging, I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 10:36:33 am »
The issue is more likely due to unfermentables in the extract rather than problems with the yeast
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 11:13:44 am »

Do you think I should try to re-pitch more yeast? 

I agree with Denny. I doubt it will help.

Extract beers are notorious for finishing high. That’s one great reason to brew all-grain: the brewer takes control of wort production vs outsourcing it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 11:41:16 am »

Do you think I should try to re-pitch more yeast? 

I agree with Denny. I doubt it will help.

Extract beers are notorious for finishing high. That’s one great reason to brew all-grain: the brewer takes control of wort production vs outsourcing it.

I get around it by replacing part of the extract with some sugar.  Take out 1/4 lb of DME, add 1/4 lb sugar

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 01:29:29 pm »
Should I try to pitch more yeast (thru my blow off tube fitting to minimize exposure to O2)?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 01:31:53 pm »
Should I try to pitch more yeast (thru my blow off tube fitting to minimize exposure to O2)?

I doubt more yeast would do it. And if it would, there would be no reason to introduce it via the blowoff.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 02:23:45 pm »
as people said, its done fermenting and that is an expected FG.

it sounds crazy but i would not add more yeast and not worry about it.

again, windsor needs some warning on it for new homebrewers that it will leave an unexpectedly high FG.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 02:24:27 pm »
Instead of more yeast, you might try adding enzymes that convert indigestible complex sugars to digestible simple sugars. The yeast you have in the beer will eat the simple sugars to reduce the FG.  …but overdo it and it might dry out too much.

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 06:36:00 pm »
Enzymes. Now that's a new word to me  :)

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 07:40:27 pm »
Enzymes. Now that's a new word to me  :)
Sorry. This can get pretty deep if you let it.

BLUF: Brewing is a series of natural processes. Your job as a brewer is setting up the conditions so these naturally occurring reactions work most efficiently and to your favor.

There are numerous naturally occurring enzymes that perform different functions. Basically they convert X to Y at certain pH and temps. I’ll put some charts below that can give you an idea [1]. They’re from a book I recommend you read: How to Brew by John Palmer. There are free earlier versions online but the latest edition has some updates in it that could be worth your while if you’re interested in going further in the hobby.

Malt extract is concentrated wort. You reconstitute it by adding water. The problem with some extracts is they have complex sugars that some yeast can’t ferment. This is a result of the production of the extract. 1.020 seems to be a common stopping point.

Windsor yeast cannot metabolize maltotriose (a complex sugar). It would have to be broken down into simple sugars that that yeast strain can metabolize.

So, the yeast metabolizes all it can and then stops. That’s why adding more yeast probably won’t get you anywhere. The yeast you already used metabolized all the sugars it can.

In this case, you could add enzymes like those found in Brutzyme that enable the hydrolysis of starch and dextrins into fermentable sugars that yeast can ferment. It works best at a temperature range between 50-68°F and a pH of 4-5.5.

*If* you choose to use it, use it with this in mind: this stuff works.

However, in your beer, a high FG in a Amer Brown Ale may not be a huge problem. In fact it may turn out great as is. Brown Ale is not normally known for a crisp, dry finish. The higher finish gravity may be a good thing.

[1] Of the enzymes listed here, I normally only target alpha and beta amylase:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:41:13 pm by BrewBama »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 08:14:26 am »
I wouldn't add anything. No yeast, enzymes, nothing. Don't transfer, leave it in primary until you get back, then bottle or keg.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 09:34:54 pm »
Just checked the FG and it hasn't budged but... it has a whole lot of body. A lot of chocolate almost coffee notes coming thru and I'm ok with that. It's almost on the verge of a stout taste/body which I'm jiggy with. Next time I think I'd try replacing some of the additional extract with sugar and possibly only an additional 1/4# of chocolate malt instead of the 1/2# additional I steeped. Probably just gonna cold crash it tomorrow and keg it Sunday/Monday and let it condition for a 1-1/2 - 2 weeks til I get back from my trip and just drink it.