Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FG Too High  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: FG Too High
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2023, 04:03:38 pm »

Why would 1.000 or below be a concern ?

Thanks
Nothing if you want a dry beer.

I used some glucoamylase in a Brut IPA once and got FG = 0.996, which is what I was after. It was an interesting experiment, but I haven't done it again.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Fire Rooster

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2023, 03:18:51 am »

Thanks

I used some glucoamylase in a Brut IPA once and got FG = 0.996, which is what I was after. It was an interesting experiment, but I haven't done it again.

Why haven't you used it again ?
Overall, what did it do for the beer ?

Thanks

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2023, 08:46:07 am »

Thanks

Thanks

The beer overall was good but not good enough or popular enough for me to make again. The Brut IPA style is supposed to be extremely dry, with FG near 1.000,  and the only reasonable way to accomplish that is to use an enzyme that will chop all the unfermentable sugars into fermentable ones. I used it in the fermenter, not the mash. I was concerned that there would be no foam or head retention, but it was actually OK. The enzyme didn't seem to have any effect other than making a highly fermentable beer. The style had a brief period of popularity a few years ago, then faded away.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2023, 05:51:49 am »

Thanks

Thanks

The beer overall was good but not good enough or popular enough for me to make again. The Brut IPA style is supposed to be extremely dry, with FG near 1.000,  and the only reasonable way to accomplish that is to use an enzyme that will chop all the unfermentable sugars into fermentable ones. I used it in the fermenter, not the mash. I was concerned that there would be no foam or head retention, but it was actually OK. The enzyme didn't seem to have any effect other than making a highly fermentable beer. The style had a brief period of popularity a few years ago, then faded away.

Thanks
BTW, your writing is superior to most.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 05:57:03 am by Fire Rooster »

Fire Rooster

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 08:31:25 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2023, 01:47:56 pm »
Just different tools in the toolbox to encourage nature to help us achieve a goal.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2023, 04:14:15 pm »

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
BTW, your writing is superior to most.
Thank you. It is good to know someone appreciates the time and thought I put into it.

Offline NNVbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2023, 07:31:57 am »
What yeast did you use? If it was stated, I did not catch it. It can make a difference. I brewed something similar with a starting gravity of 1.041 and it finished at 1.013 using SA-33. I was expecting 1.005-1.007 for FG. A little research led to a conclusion that SA-33, being a low attenuator, would likely provide the observed results. So I pitched in SA -05 and the final gravity got to 1.010. I bottled this on Sunday 4-2. The green beer tasted OK but needs a couple weeks to condition. Next time I think I will roll with what it ends at and not waste the extra yeast for a few points decrease of gravity.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2023, 08:26:54 am »
What yeast did you use? If it was stated, I did not catch it. It can make a difference. I brewed something similar with a starting gravity of 1.041 and it finished at 1.013 using SA-33. I was expecting 1.005-1.007 for FG. A little research led to a conclusion that SA-33, being a low attenuator, would likely provide the observed results. So I pitched in SA -05 and the final gravity got to 1.010. I bottled this on Sunday 4-2. The green beer tasted OK but needs a couple weeks to condition. Next time I think I will roll with what it ends at and not waste the extra yeast for a few points decrease of gravity.

AG Batch #88, (4.75-5 gal in Fermenter)

5 lbs Munich
3 lbs Vienna
1/2 lb Flaked Rice

50 min, 3.5 grams Mosaic-Cryo AA 22 (first time)
10 min , 28  grams Hallertau Mittlefruh-Pellet AA 2.7

Bottom Cropped S-23

60 min Mash, 1/4 t gypsum
50 min Boil, 1/4 t gypsum

BIAB, Double Drop

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2023, 09:40:37 am »
Interesting you use the Cryo this early. I’ve always used it late. Let us know what you think.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2023, 09:56:10 am »
Interesting you use the Cryo this early. I’ve always used it late. Let us know what you think.

I tried it once on a lark (with full knowledge that it is intended to be in whirlpool or dry hop additions) and it created a much more bitter beer than I intended (I didn't have a way of knowing the IBU's from early addition).  It was not like it was undrinkable, mind you, but I didn't care for the early use.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Fire Rooster

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2023, 10:40:18 am »

I tried it once on a lark (with full knowledge that it is intended to be in whirlpool or dry hop additions) and it created a much more bitter beer than I intended (I didn't have a way of knowing the IBU's from early addition).  It was not like it was undrinkable, mind you, but I didn't care for the early use.

This has been in the freezer for a while so I'll use it up.
I only used 3.5 grams (0.1234589 ozs) since it's 22 AA.
Was looking for a little extra IBU's since the Hallertau Mittlefruh AA is only 2.7.
Switching to pellets for awhile to see if it's similar to dried leaf, which I'm being told.

Smelled and tasted nice when bottled about a week ago.
It's currently in the carb/cond phase, 3 weeks @75f.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 11:06:59 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2023, 12:27:37 pm »
With just a few grams, I am sure you will be fine.  Best of luck with your beer!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2023, 02:01:50 pm »

Was looking for a little extra IBU's since the Hallertau Mittlefruh AA is only 2.7.

If you're looking to save a little money, you can use Columbus or CTZ as a bittering hop. It'll give a big bittering punch and take up less space. That's the idea with those cryo/lupomax hops - less material same hop flavor.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2023, 02:16:02 pm »
Early test taste.

One pound (2 cups) of cane sugar is too much for a 5 gallon batch.
Although its very smooth, drinkable, and raised the ABV, the malt
and hops are muted way too much.  Batch saved lesson learned.
A small lemon wedge squeezed into the mug of beer it will be fine.

Cheers

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 02:19:59 pm by Fire Rooster »