Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temperature and yeasts  (Read 3504 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Temperature and yeasts
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 11:38:10 am »
I always wondered hoe you did it Denny. After all these years still doing it cheap and easy? Now I imagine you brew your Alts and such in the "cooler" months?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 11:40:23 am »
I always wondered hoe you did it Denny. After all these years still doing it cheap and easy? Now I imagine you brew your Alts and such in the "cooler" months?

Yep, alts and lagers in the winter...seasonal brewing as Tom said.  I've been working on my garage/brewery and just finished the plumbing and installed a sink/cabinets/countertop.  I'm trying to get things arranged so I can have some sort of temp controlled fermentation in there that's a bit less C&E!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 11:46:51 am »
I understand your point about seasonal brewing, but dammit, I want what I want when I want it!  :)   Putting my fermenter in a tub of water in an interior closet and adding ice packs, I can maintain 65-70 with an ambient of 85-90.
I lived in a 285 sqft studio apartment for a year or so shortly after I moved to Seattle.  It didn't keep me from having 5 batches in progress at one time, but I didn't have an interior closet - it was a closet :)  Plus the building didn't have AC, and the apartment got the late afternoon sun and no possibility of a cross breeeze.  Summer was sweaty.  Plus when it was a nice summer weekend I typically went camping (you have to take advantage of the weather) but that meant I wasn't there to change ice in a tub either.  Seasonal brewing was really the best way to go for me, in that place, at that time.

That got old though, now I have some temperature controlled options so I can do whatever I want when I want.   ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 11:50:47 am »

Yep, alts and lagers in the winter...seasonal brewing as Tom said.  I've been working on my garage/brewery and just finished the plumbing and installed a sink/cabinets/countertop.  I'm trying to get things arranged so I can have some sort of temp controlled fermentation in there that's a bit less C&E!

This reminds me of an old joke...

I want... what I want... when I want it!

...and you'll get...what I got...when I get it!

Now I can make you a sandwich or something.  ::)

Fermentation control is the key to success....words to live by.  8)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:01:47 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 11:51:08 am »
You bring up a point that we often forget...not everyone has the same situation!  In your case in that apartment, it seems there really was no alternative.  When you have a dedicated brew garage like I have, you tend to forget that not everyone is so lucky.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:18 am »
You bring up a point that we often forget...not everyone has the same situation!  In your case in that apartment, it seems there really was no alternative.  When you have a dedicated brew garage like I have, you tend to forget that not everyone is so lucky.
No realistic alternatives anyway :)  I try not to forget I'm lucky to have the setup I do, even if it's not as nice as some other people's.  And having a supportive wife who understands and accepts (mostly) that she will never park the car in the garage helps too :)
Tom Schmidlin