Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rehydrate or dry pitch?  (Read 1125 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Rehydrate or dry pitch?
« on: April 06, 2023, 10:58:08 am »
Just received this ina newsletter from Lallemand...

Rehydrate or dry pitch?

Recent R&D has shown that there is no significant difference in fermentation performance between dry pitched and rehydrated yeast. 

Dry pitching is the preferred method of inoculating wort. This method is simpler than rehydration and will give more consistent fermentation performance, also reducing the risk of contamination. 

Rehydration of yeast prior to pitching should be used only when equipment does not easily facilitate dry pitching, for bottle conditioning and some fermentations other than beer.

Watch our Pitching Best Practice video to learn more:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ouWeVYkkE&feature=youtu.be

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
Re: Rehydrate or dry pitch?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 11:39:13 am »
Fermentis has similar info - https://fermentis.com/en/easy-2-use/

Included: "Over 90% of the Fermentis yeast and derivative range is E2U™" (E2U is Easy to Use, meaning no need for rehydration)

I stopped rehydrating maybe two years ago.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 11:56:41 am »
Fermentis has similar info - https://fermentis.com/en/easy-2-use/

Included: "Over 90% of the Fermentis yeast and derivative range is E2U™" (E2U is Easy to Use, meaning no need for rehydration)

I stopped rehydrating maybe two years ago.

I stopped over 20 years ago.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 11:59:16 am »
FWIW - I recently pitched a packet of yeast into some chilled and well shaken wort (about a liter) and then an hour or so later, I poured it into the full batch.  I observed no difference in any aspect of fermentation between that and sprinkling on the surface of the full batch.  I don't know why I even thought to try this, but I did.  So, from now on (and as I have done routinely for the last 3 or more years) I will just sprinkle on the surface of the full batch of chilled wort and let it do its thing.  Thanks for the definitive update.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 04:55:02 pm »
This is what Fermentis (they make US05) says..

We don’t recommend aerating the wort in normal conditions. The dry yeast has been produced and dried with a specific know-how of the Lesaffre Group, in order to maximize the Ergosterols content of the cells. This allows the yeast to grow/multiply and ferment well.However, you could aerate the wort in particular cases, for example if you recycle the yeast. There is no difference (for the O2) between Ale and Lager.

https://fermentis.com/en/knowledge-center/qanda/

NOTE: if you recycle the yeast it essentially becomes liquid yeast and the appropriate procedures are recommended

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 06:52:45 am »
This thread should get pinned.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 09:35:32 am »
sort of related, does anyone know of a fermentis dry yeast pitch calculator like lallemands one?

all i see are pitch rates and they may be out of date or just wrong

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 11:11:55 am »
sort of related, does anyone know of a fermentis dry yeast pitch calculator like lallemands one?

You should email Fermentis

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2023, 12:04:07 pm »

You should email Fermentis

will do