Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Repitching rate for Novalager yeast  (Read 2496 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Repitching rate for Novalager yeast
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2023, 11:38:52 am »
I used it in a German Leichtbier. Nice pint. I don’t get any esters. …but it hasn’t cleared yet — still kind of cloudy.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2023, 12:03:01 pm »
Early taste using Novalager was awesome, won't be in drinking rotation for about 2 months.
Currently drinking Batch #85, this batch was #89, each batch is 2 cases of 22 oz bottles.
Might be one of my best yet, time will tell, but always changing the recipe so it could be that too.

I brewed this on March 25 2023.
AG Batch #89, (4.5-5 gal in Fermenter)

7 lbs S. Golden Promise
1 lb DC Dark Munich
1/2 lb Flaked Rice
1/4 cup Sugar

50 min, 1 oz Tettnanger (dried cone 4.3 AA)
15 min , 1 oz Tettnanger

2 PKS NOVALAGER

60 min Mash, 1/4 t gypsum
50 min Boil, 1/4 t gypsum

BIAB, Double Drop
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 12:09:26 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2023, 12:12:16 pm »
I used it in a German Leichtbier. Nice pint. I don’t get any esters. …but it hasn’t cleared yet — still kind of cloudy.

Good to know. They show a pretty prevalent red apple character that had me worried.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2023, 11:14:01 am »

Good to know. They show a pretty prevalent red apple character that had me worried.

I have a "Euro lager" on tap right now fermented using Novalager, and I don't pick up any red apple character. It was a 5 gallon batch fermented at 52 degrees with 2x 11g packs. By contrast, I very commonly get some red apple in 34/70, which is why I've switched over to Diamond (and now perhaps Novalager!).

Looking forward to your perceptions!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2023, 01:25:54 pm »

I have a "Euro lager" on tap right now fermented using Novalager, and I don't pick up any red apple character. It was a 5 gallon batch fermented at 52 degrees with 2x 11g packs. By contrast, I very commonly get some red apple in 34/70, which is why I've switched over to Diamond (and now perhaps Novalager!).

Looking forward to your perceptions!

The beer will be brewed tomorrow. Just milled grain and got set up for it. If it was just 5 gal I'd be tempted to just use one pack to see how it went. But I'm doing 6.5 so I'll use 2.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2023, 01:12:09 pm »
Using their calculator, one packet is still pushing it for me.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/brewers-corner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/

Indeed, it suggests 2 packets, but in fact, my initial use of one 11 g packet on Saturday hit terminal gravity (1.008) Tuesday fermented at 55F.  I thought my Diamond fermentations were fast…but this stuff really rips through my low ABV pils.

Pitched one packet of Novalager in 4.5 gal 1.038 wort.
Everything is fine, krausen started easily within 24 hours.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 01:15:15 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2023, 01:59:44 pm »
I'm picking up a low, but present, red apple character. Comes out more as the beer warms. Seems to emphasize malt more than Diamond.

www.dennybrew.com