Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: External heating element  (Read 636 times)

Offline matteospacca

• 1st Kit
External heating element
« on: April 28, 2023, 06:01:51 pm »
Good evening everyone. I'm new to the forum :)
After a few years of brewing I have the need to switch from direct fire to electric. I have a very (probably stupid) question. Before drilling a 1,5" hole in my SS Brewtech 15Gal kettle I would like to know if there is and kind of removable heating element options on the market. Something like a submergible element that hooks up to the top of the kettle without the need of drilling. I was also thinking about a RIMS system but I don't think you can get to boiling with rims and also not sure the pump will work with boiling water.
Many thanks

Matteo

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: External heating element
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 08:11:28 pm »
I am very happy with the Blichmann BoilCoil:
https://www.blichmannengineering.com/boilcoil.html

It has ultra-low watt density so it won't scorch your wort or get nasty brown burnt stuff all over it. It requires two small holes to be drilled in the kettle but it comes with a template for drilling them and there is some tolerance for error in the placement.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 06:13:50 am »
Have you considered an Induction Burner?  I use one for my strike water kettle and it’s awesome!  I was unable to find mine on Amazon, so I found it on a restaurant supply site.  No drilling required.  You will need to make sure the bottom of your kettle is magnetic.

Mine is a Waring Commercial, M: WIH400, 120V.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wih400-commercial-induction-range-120v-1800w/929WIH400.html
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 06:43:07 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 06:42:07 am »
I use induction heat as well. Mine is 220v 3600W. I installed a Y switch at my clothes dryer plug to get the 220.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 07:05:30 am »
I use induction heat as well. Mine is 220v 3600W. I installed a Y switch at my clothes dryer plug to get the 220.

Looking into induction recently.
Which one do you have ?
Which one would you get knowing what you know now, and cost not being a factor ?
I have several 220 outlets in garage.

Thanks

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
External heating element
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 07:35:45 am »
I bought the burner below Apr 2018.  I wanted this one because it has a metal frame to help support the weight of the kettle and water/wort. I wanted 3500 for the speed. I heat to strike and then again to boil at 3500 then reduce it to 1600 to maintain the boil. It has worked flawlessly and I would buy it again.

I also had to buy a plug adapter. This is the plug with the cooktop

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 07:50:08 am by BrewBama »

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 08:01:24 pm »
BrewBama, that looks awesome. I would do something like that if I had an electrical system that would allow it. Unfortunately, I am stuck with only 110 unless I want to do a lot of electrical work.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Fire Rooster

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2023, 02:58:02 am »
I bought the burner below Apr 2018.  I wanted this one because it has a metal frame to help support the weight of the kettle and water/wort. I wanted 3500 for the speed. I heat to strike and then again to boil at 3500 then reduce it to 1600 to maintain the boil. It has worked flawlessly and I would buy it again.

I also had to buy a plug adapter. This is the plug with the cooktop

Thanks, as a side note-

We bought our home about 25 years ago, the previous owner was a tool and die maker.
The garage and basement was set up as a machine shop.
Many 220 outlets in garage and basement, with different types of 220 outlets.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 05:01:55 am by Fire Rooster »