Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Pilsen Malt  (Read 11483 times)

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Briess Pilsen Malt
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:20:09 pm »
Has anyone tried this as a base malt? How does it compare to German or Belgian pilsner malts? My LHBS sells it for $44 per sack, compared to Weyermann Pilsner for $63 per sack.
Mark Gres

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Briess Pilsen Malt
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 09:16:20 pm »
Bries pils is a bit one dimensional. Its a hard to beat the quality of a good German pils malt. That said, Rahr about matches it.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 07:15:07 am »
I have found Best or MFB to be a bit better than Weyermann.  I don't care for domestic pils malts that much, pretty much agree with Keith on that point.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 02:56:35 pm »
1st choice> Castle Pilsen (55 lbs.) $59.99

2nd > Dingemans Pilsen (55lbs) $67.95

3rd > Weyermann Pilsner (55lbs) $67.95

wayy down at the bottom is > Briess Pilsner $44.96
Yes those prices suck but I have little choice  :(

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:36:03 am »
Well, most of my upcoming brews where I'm using pilsner malt, it will be 80+% of the grain bill, so I'll invest in the Weyermann. I prefer the Castle too, but I can't ever find it locally. Thanks for everyone's replies. Maybe one day I'll do some side-by-side brews with the Briess vs. others to get a comparison.
Mark Gres

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 08:15:43 am »
I've used it in cream ales and hefeweizens and I think it worked fine.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 08:39:07 am »
Briess pils versus continental pils malt is like comparing their 2-row to Maris Otter or their Bonlander to continental Munich.  It's not going to give you the same flavor, so I'd skip them for German/Belgian styles.  They're perfectly fine for American style beers that don't have a big malt flavor.  In fact, if you're trying to go for a brewpub flavor in some of your beers, then you're better off sticking with the domestic malts.  As much as I like continental malts, if you use too much in something like an American Pale Ale, it won't really taste right.

I've used Durst pils for years, but also have used Best and Dingeman.  I think the German malts are a little cleaner-tasting than the Belgian ones, but that was back when I was using DWC, which could be a bit fruity-tasting.  Fine in Belgians, but a little too much for Germans.  Most Belgian breweries I visited were using Dingeman, so I'd pick that for Belgian styles every time.

In general, matching the country of origin of the style with the country of the maltster gives good results.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:23:50 am »
I've used Briess Pils and like it, but I prefer Wyermann, Dingemanns and Best over the American grown Briess variety.
I think the continental Pils varieties are a bit cleaner and the grains are larger in size as compared to Briess Pils.

I agree with Gordon's statement in regards to matching a country of origin of the style with the country of the maltster to acheive good results.
Ron Price

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 12:40:16 pm »
I also agree with Gordon.  I have used Briess pilsen malt for a Classic American Pilsner and it worked fine.  I tend to prefer continental malts for German/Belgian brews as well.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 04:10:26 pm »
I also agree with Gordon.  I have used Briess pilsen malt for a Classic American Pilsner and it worked fine.  I tend to prefer continental malts for German/Belgian brews as well.

The best CAP's I have had were made with 6-row.  Mr Renner should weigh in on that.

I have used Durst Pils with good results for German Pils and other styles.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 06:07:05 pm »

The best CAP's I have had were made with 6-row.  Mr Renner should weigh in on that.

I'll have to remember that for the next time I make a CAP.  :)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 06:17:50 pm »
I'll have to remember that for the next time I make a CAP.  :)

Here is one of Jeff Renner's articles.  He is currently using the WLP-833 German Bock yeast.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1298/SOzym00-Pilsner.pdf
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!