Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation temperature control by moving in and out of refrigeration  (Read 1253 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Yeah, it's a pain and you can't really keep a steady temp. You may be better off fermenting at room temperature, then lagering.

Lutra would be a good option for brewing a lager at room temp. I like describing Lutra as a lager strain with training wheels - Traditional lager strains can throw off rotten egg sulfur notes when fermented warm ... where as Lutra can give off a more citrus note when fermented warm. It may not be what you would want in a lager, but would still give you a drinkable beer.

i tried the dried lutra last summer in 2 beers and really did not like it, the "citrus" elements, or fruitiness honestly reminded me of an english ale strain (reduced intensity of these esters, but there and distracting) but it ended up much tarter than i expected and very dry feeling. it might be good but i feel you'd have to change a lot of variables in grist, pH, hopping etc to make it work. im off kveik for the foreseeable future after that. i dumped both the remainders of the beers

I really wanted to like kveik yeasts. They seemed like such a nice solution to temperature control, but I have been quite disappointed in the results the few times I have used them.

I'm with you. I have yet to taste a kveik I really like.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell