Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hop Time/Length  (Read 648 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Dry Hop Time/Length
« on: May 07, 2023, 01:29:31 pm »
Ideally I always dry hop for 3 days then keg. Single addition, 3 days, keg.
Question is, Do I run the risk of off flavors (?) if I leave the dry hops in contact for longer then a week?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry Hop Time/Length
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 03:37:03 pm »
Ideally I always dry hop for 3 days then keg. Single addition, 3 days, keg.
Question is, Do I run the risk of off flavors (?) if I leave the dry hops in contact for longer then a week?

Yes, you do. Recent research has shown that all the good stuff is extracted in 24-72 hours. After that the hops start reabsorbing the oils which leaves you mainly polyphenols. My experience bears that out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 07:09:54 pm »
I routinely dry hop my NEIPAs three days after fermentation starts and leave for 8 days. I do it mostly to reduce/eliminate my chances of oxidation, which i experienced when I tried to DH three days before bottling. My beers turn out good and I haven’t noticed any off flavors because maybe I’m in the cusp. The hops may start to reabsorb oils, but there must be plenty left by the time I bottle.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 01:51:57 am »
I usually go between 3 to 5 days before kegging.  I think I have gone longer, but don't remember anything bad happening.  But that was probably because I didn't know any better.   LOL. 

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 07:29:41 am »
I also go only three days with dry hops (after fermentation is complete), then keg.  Denny swears that dry hopping when the beer is cold is better, but I can't do that with my setup so I dry hop at around 65 degrees.  Could the aroma be better with dry hopping at a lower temperature, probably.  But my beers still smell good and taste good, so I subscribe to the mantra "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" in my brewery.  If I ever decide to drop some bucks on a glycol system, then I will dry hop at a lower temperature, but right now that isn't in my game plan.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified