Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aeration in a glass carboy.  (Read 4838 times)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: Aeration in a glass carboy.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 02:11:45 pm »
Hmm.  I just tilt and rock the carboy back and forth really hard for about 5 minutes.  No lifting.  Seems to work for me, although I have bought a mix stir recently which is easier, but not helping me built up my biceps ;-)

The thought of tilt and rock scares me to death these days, even though that's what I used to do.  It just seems like one of those things that will work great right up til the day the carboy breaks.

Simple, low tech solution - place carboy in plastic milk crate. tip crate up on edge (one hand holding top of milk crate, the other on the top of carboy). Rock back & forth. This protects very well against potential breakage while also making the mechanical action of rocking back & forth very easy. You can aerate your wort very effectively.

I have a plastic milk crate for each of my glass carboys. Use them for storing, moving, etc. Also protects against one carboy knocking up against another - with potentially disastrous results. Keeping the carboy in that protective container is a good precaution throughout the cycle of carboy use. Be safe.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Re: Aeration in a glass carboy.
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 05:55:34 pm »
I still use a wine degasser, the steel shafted model.  Homebrew Heaven in Washington State had them.  The plastic models suck.