Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Method of pouring cooled wort into 7gal Fermonster  (Read 497 times)

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
Method of pouring cooled wort into 7gal Fermonster
« on: May 16, 2023, 06:10:26 pm »
For those that have a 7gal Fermonster or have experience with them, did you simply pour (carefully) the ~2.5-3gals of wort into the smallish 4" opening or do I need to consider a pump or funnel of some sort?  I have 1 on order and plan to brew in a few days when it arrives.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Method of pouring cooled wort into 7gal Fermonster
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 06:16:58 pm »
Before I switched to ported kettles, I siphoned into fermenters, using an Auto-siphon. This facilitated leaving most of the trub in the kettle.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 10:02:49 pm »
I use a 7 gallon Fermonster for fermenting. When I first started brewing I had a very large funnel that I used when pouring from the kettle. Later I used a siphon starter which allowed me to slowly and carefully transfer the clear wort into the fermenter without getting too much trub. Now I have a kettle with a valve with a hose barb on it and I put a piece of hose on the barb and put that in the fermenter.

Here is a 15.75"  funnel for $30 (May 2023)
https://www.morebeer.com/products/funnel-1534-diam.html

Here is a 12" funnel for $15 (May 2023)
https://www.morebeer.com/products/funnel-12-diam.html

Here is an auto siphon starter:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/auto-siphon-starter-516-regular.html
You need to add your own 5/16" tubing to the output of this to get down into your fermenter. There are other sizes available.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 11:27:03 pm »
After further research, I decided I'm going to add a 1/2" stainless ball valve paired with some silicone tubing.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 05:40:19 am »
After further research, I decided I'm going to add a 1/2" stainless ball valve paired with some silicone tubing.
That’s how I fill my fermenter

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 08:36:26 am »

That is by far the easiest method. If  you use loose hops you need to find some way to keep them from clogging the output, though. I use a whirlpool to collect them in the center of the kettle and a dip tube with a 90-degree bend to draw wort from the side of the kettle. With that approach I only had the valve plug once, when I had a problem with the whirlpool. I had to dust off my autosiphon to drain the kettle that day.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline DillyDilly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 08:16:49 am »
I use dry hop balls to contain my hops and haven't had any issues with residuals in my wort.

Valve installed on my kettle.  Fittings installed on my Fermonster cap.  Brew day tomorrow.  I'll post up some pics when I have everything together.  Excited and nervous for my first attempt with "new" equipment and my first attempt at a partial mash brew courtesy of Michigan Brew Supply (Dragons Milk White Stout).