Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BEER LINE LENGTH ????  (Read 643 times)

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
BEER LINE LENGTH ????
« on: May 06, 2023, 02:24:33 pm »
What beer line lenth should  my keezer beer lines be?

I have seen many answers and calculators. Is there a more of a general rule of thumb?

My set up is a 7.0 cf freezer (keezer w/inkbird thermo controller), so the beer shanks are not that far above the top of the corney keg. The lines are 1/4" ID and Ill be pushing it with 12p.s.i. Co2. there are 3 different types of beer in there right now. An Imperial IPA, a Barekywine and a bourbon stout. Ive got it set at 40F. Any and all sugestions on LENGTH, PSI, TEMP and ID are all  welcome

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: BEER LINE LENGTH ????
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 04:12:27 am »
With 1/4" tubing and beer carbonated to 12 psi, you would need 19-20 feet of tubing. 3/16" tubing would be better as you would only need 6-7 feet. Beer temp and carbonation level is mostly a matter of personal preference. I use 10 psi and 36 degrees.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 07:25:55 am »
With 1/4" tubing and beer carbonated to 12 psi, you would need 19-20 feet of tubing. 3/16" tubing would be better as you would only need 6-7 feet. Beer temp and carbonation level is mostly a matter of personal preference. I use 10 psi and 36 degrees.

+1

FWIW, I use the 4 mm EVA barrier tubing and use approximately 6-7 feet of line between the keg and the faucet.  The only difference is that I push my beer at 8 PSI at around 40 degrees F.  It works well for me and doesn't sufficiently rob the carbonation in the keg.

I also carbonate my beer at 30 PSI for 24-28 hours at around 33 degrees F.  I can then tap the keg the next day.  WIth my IPA this keeps my wife happy!  :)
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 08:08:38 am »
THANKS for what your running,
  Seemed like if you asked 10 people you would get 7 answers and one from a mathmatician with the temp and the PSI and the ID the shank takes 1 psi and the faucet 2 psi, l

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell