Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why should i buy a grain mill?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
Re: Why should i buy a grain mill?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2023, 06:46:18 pm »
does that affect flavour?

For the most part, i don't think it would.

but

If you had designed a recipe for 80% BH efficiency and it ends up at 40% - then yes, I imagine it would affect the flavor.

But If you''re shooting for an OG of 1.055 but it comes out 1.035 - then that could be an issue. Although, if you're shooting for 1.085 and it comes out 1.065 - the finished beer won't meet your expectation, but it's probably still pretty good.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2023, 10:11:25 am »
I believe a wider gap does add to the beer. I only have my anecdotal brewing experience to rely on for this statement.

I intentionally opened my mill gap to increase the grain bill as well as increased mash duration to account for the larger grits when I began brewing lower ABV beers. When I was crushing finer to get the same OG the beers came out thin.

Based on this experience I believe there’s more created/extracted in the mash than just sugars converted from starch.

Counterpoint...for nearly 25 years, my mill has been set as tight as it will go. I have never noticed "thin" beer. My only point is that people can't generalize based on either of our experiences.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2023, 01:15:20 pm »
does that affect flavour?

For the most part, i don't think it would.

but

If you had designed a recipe for 80% BH efficiency and it ends up at 40% - then yes, I imagine it would affect the flavor.

But If you''re shooting for an OG of 1.055 but it comes out 1.035 - then that could be an issue. Although, if you're shooting for 1.085 and it comes out 1.065 - the finished beer won't meet your expectation, but it's probably still pretty good.
I think if the efficiency decrease was solely due to particle size in the mash, then the flavor wouldn't be all that different especially if there aren't a lot of specialty grains.  If the efficiency decrease was due to other factors, temperature, pH, etc. then you are more likely to have flavor differences.  I think this because I'm guessing that with particle sizes being larger, the enzymes can't access the starches as readily.