Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'll forever be a student of this hobby...  (Read 1871 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: I'll forever be a student of this hobby...
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2023, 03:01:32 pm »
Talk about continued learning...I'm working on the presentation Drew and I are doing at HBC. Modern Hopping Techniques in WCIPA. To paraphrase Matt Damon, we're gonna science the sh*t out of it. It's simply amazing the amount of research that's been done in brewing the last few years.
... and we're all better for it.  :D

As long as we learn how to interpret and apply it. Unfortunately it seems that some have problems with that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2023, 09:17:27 am »
Talk about continued learning...I'm working on the presentation Drew and I are doing at HBC. Modern Hopping Techniques in WCIPA. To paraphrase Matt Damon, we're gonna science the sh*t out of it. It's simply amazing the amount of research that's been done in brewing the last few years.
... and we're all better for it.  :D

As long as we learn how to interpret and apply it. Unfortunately it seems that some have problems with that.
I suppose.  I feel like the brewing world is lucky to have people who like to experiment, crunch numbers and dispel myths.  If you run across something for the first time, it's almost always true that someone else has already been there and has some useful advice.  It's funny how your ideas about brewing change over time too... if I had a bad batch years ago, dumping it would make me physically ill (OMG all that work and expense!!) and now if I have something that just didn't come out the way I expected... toodles!  You're taking up valuable real estate inside one of my kegs and it's time for you to go!  :D  This experiment I did with the CaSO4... I had done that before.  But if it hadn't worked as I envisioned, I would have just retired this batch and moved on.     
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2023, 10:05:47 am »
My Baja yeast Int’l Lager batch didn’t turn out as envisioned.   I may try your Gypsum trick, give it some time, and see if that picks it up a bit. Too bad, too. I really wanted to like this yeast. At this point, the NovaLager batch knocks it out of the water.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2023, 11:17:23 am »
My Baja yeast Int’l Lager batch didn’t turn out as envisioned.   I may try your Gypsum trick, give it some time, and see if that picks it up a bit. Too bad, too. I really wanted to like this yeast. At this point, the NovaLager batch knocks it out of the water.

I've just had my first taste of my first Novalager pils. Initial impression is that it's a great yeast.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2023, 04:11:40 pm »
That's discouraging.  Please describe what your experiencing because I am *SO* looking forward to using it.  If you're saying that the beer isn't "crisp" or something it would be helpful to know.  I know you use RO water and my water is VERY different so not sure how relevant it is but I really like WLP940 and I was hoping this was a dry version of it.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2023, 04:12:38 pm »

I've just had my first taste of my first Novalager pils. Initial impression is that it's a great yeast.
Okay, this is very ENCOURAGING.  I also have the Novalager waiting in the fridge and I have all kinds of plans for it.  Glad to hear your good news. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Online BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2023, 06:16:15 am »
It could be my process, recipe, or something else, but it is not a crisp beer. It cleared nicely, but it has a sweetness or fruitiness I can’t put my finger on. Again, it’s just one anecdotal data point and could very well be operator error.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2023, 07:46:17 am »
It could be my process, recipe, or something else, but it is not a crisp beer. It cleared nicely, but it has a sweetness or fruitiness I can’t put my finger on. Again, it’s just one anecdotal data point and could very well be operator error.
My 940 beers have always been balanced, attenuated well and have cleared.  I think these Baja packs are 11g, right?  How many packs and what was your fermentation temp?  Even though I am celebrating the arrival of more dry yeast, I admit that some that I have tried have presented some challenges. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Online BrewBama

I'll forever be a student of this hobby...
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2023, 03:51:02 pm »
2 packs. I fermented at 55°F. I tasted it again today. I am probably going to dump this batch. It just ain’t worth any more time/effort IMO.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2023, 09:13:06 am »
2 packs. I fermented at 55°F. I tasted it again today. I am probably going to dump this batch. It just ain’t worth any more time/effort IMO.
Bummer.  Sincerely.  It's good to taste it a few different times especially as your first taste of beer in the day.  That always helps, IMO.  I have a 2124 "gold lager" on tap that seemed kind of bland and boring and I was about to make some notes on how to brighten it up.  A couple days later after a long bike I grabbed a glass of it and sat outside and it was actually fantastic.  I think I had originally tried it right after a very different beer and my tastebuds weren't receptive to it.  Stooopid tastebuds.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2023, 09:35:50 am »
I did a batch of pils with Baja. Pitched heavy at nearly 2 grams per liter. Ferm temp 48 ramped to 54. Fermentation took about 12 days to terminal 1.009. I thought it was pretty crisp and clean after a couple weeks lagering. I like Diamond more though for my pils.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2023, 09:45:21 am »

Okay, this is very ENCOURAGING.  I also have the Novalager waiting in the fridge and I have all kinds of plans for it.  Glad to hear your good news.

Had another taste yesterday after a few more days of clearing. Even more impressed. Really complements the flavor of the Hana malt.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2023, 10:11:37 am »
I am enjoying the first Novalager pils from an April brew session.  After a few weeks of lagering, it is tremendous.  This yeast may take over for Diamond as my go to yeast…I have repitched a couple times and am anxious to see if it holds up for a few generations of repitching.  I never would have guessed that I would be saying that.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2023, 11:21:30 am »
...  This yeast may take over for Diamond as my go to yeast…

I was thinking the same thing in relation to NovaLager vs 34/70.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2023, 11:25:43 am »
...  This yeast may take over for Diamond as my go to yeast…

I was thinking the same thing in relation to NovaLager vs 34/70.

Although I've only used Novalager once, I think there may be enough difference from Diamond to warrant using both, depending on desired outcome. Hope to soon split a batch between the 2 to see if that bears out.

www.dennybrew.com