Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Edelweiss Hops  (Read 1089 times)

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Edelweiss Hops
« on: April 13, 2023, 04:52:25 am »
Edelweiss hops from Hop Heaven. Are they "best" for bittering, flavor&aroma or both? Making a German style pils. Thoughts were to use edelweiss across the recipe but not sure, never used before. Maybe magnum for the bittering and edelweiss for flavor&aroma.

Thoughts

Fire Rooster

Re: Edelweiss Hops
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 05:26:58 am »
When using a new hop I only use that hop.
This way other hops won't distract.
After that I start to mix.

Cheers

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 08:34:22 am »
Edelweiss hops from Hop Heaven. Are they "best" for bittering, flavor&aroma or both? Making a German style pils. Thoughts were to use edelweiss across the recipe but not sure, never used before. Maybe magnum for the bittering and edelweiss for flavor&aroma.

Thoughts

I think it would be wasted on bittering
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 09:42:07 am »
Edelweiss is a blend of US grown noble or noble-like hops. You're not exactly blowing a rare or expensive hop using it for bittering.

Personally I prefer using hops in the single digit AA% for bittering beers not intended to be aggressively bittered so I would have no problem using the blend for a pilsner. If you paid a premium for the blend and have other suitable options on hand I'd use those first.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 12:53:58 pm »

Cheers
This was my initial thought. In my Czech Lager I use only Saaz hops, either German, Czech or American but usually Czech and really enjoy it. I think a German style pils is supposed to have more bitterness than a Czech Lager so that is the reason for possibly using magnum for the bittering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 01:29:25 pm »

Cheers
This was my initial thought. In my Czech Lager I use only Saaz hops, either German, Czech or American but usually Czech and really enjoy it. I think a German style pils is supposed to have more bitterness than a Czech Lager so that is the reason for possibly using magnum for the bittering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I would use it alone to see how it contributes to bitterness, flavor and aroma.
However upon checking my records that's not what I did.  Maybe I should have, but I was on a CAP quest and used Clusters for bittering.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 05:40:13 pm »
You can't go wrong using Clusters for bittering for any type of pilsner. I have used Clusters for bittering on countless pils, and then varied the flavor and aroma hops, sometimes using only one variety. That would be my course of action for Edelweiss.

Off-topic:  My ranking of favorite bittering hops for pilsners:

1. Clusters - classic old school beer flavor
2. Styrian Goldings - same as above, just need more
3. Perle - elegant almost minty bittering
4. Northern Brewer - the berry kind of flavor they add is a bit different, but paired with a good Hallertauer hop can be real good
5. Magnum - the halibut/walleye of hops - they don't add any flavor

Least favorite:

1.  Galena - there's a reason why these hops were named after a lead sulfide mineral

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 09:32:31 am »
FWIW, I have used Edelweiss as a bittering hop in a few batches. My understanding (as noted by others on this thread) is that you do get some flavor contribution on bittering additions, so it's not entirely wasted. My personal philosophy is that at a homebrew scale, I can do what I want with bittering, because I'm not necessarily worried about cost savings. Sometimes I'll use high alpha Magnum for bittering in my German lagers/ales, but I do think you lose a bit of subtle qualities versus using a lower alpha hop for bittering (echoing what chumley said). Again, just my two cents.

Edelweiss really shines in its late hop aroma/flavor characters, though. I get a gorgeous floral aroma with the blend, which is heavenly in many light German beers (pils, kolsch, etc.). I have a kolsch with it on tap right now, and it's exquisite.

Last year, I made a German-style pils last year using only Edelweiss, and it worked really well. Info here for anyone interested: https://andybrews.com/2022/03/01/winter-pils/

So, my personal opinion is that it's totally worth trying as a "SMaSH"-type beer...or I guess that would be "SMaSB" given that it's a blend.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 01:22:49 pm »
FWIW, I have used Edelweiss as a bittering hop in a few batches. My understanding (as noted by others on this thread) is that you do get some flavor contribution on bittering additions, so it's not entirely wasted. My personal philosophy is that at a homebrew scale, I can do what I want with bittering, because I'm not necessarily worried about cost savings. Sometimes I'll use high alpha Magnum for bittering in my German lagers/ales, but I do think you lose a bit of subtle qualities versus using a lower alpha hop for bittering (echoing what chumley said). Again, just my two cents.

Edelweiss really shines in its late hop aroma/flavor characters, though. I get a gorgeous floral aroma with the blend, which is heavenly in many light German beers (pils, kolsch, etc.). I have a kolsch with it on tap right now, and it's exquisite.

Last year, I made a German-style pils last year using only Edelweiss, and it worked really well. Info here for anyone interested: https://andybrews.com/2022/03/01/winter-pils/

So, my personal opinion is that it's totally worth trying as a "SMaSH"-type beer...or I guess that would be "SMaSB" given that it's a blend.

Ok, I am going to go straight edelweiss hops! That's what I had in mind from the outset.

Nice blog Andy!! First time visiting your site. Bookmarked!

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 01:42:40 pm »
Ok, I am going to go straight edelweiss hops! That's what I had in mind from the outset.

Nice blog Andy!! First time visiting your site. Bookmarked!

Have fun! They're a great hop blend...and with a bit of use, you'll certainly find the usage that works for you.

And thank you for the kind words on the blog! It's a labor of love, and my semi-permanent brewing log, and a way to keep my dad (who is also a homebrewer) informed on brewing projects.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 09:21:22 am »
You can't go wrong using Clusters for bittering for any type of pilsner. I have used Clusters for bittering on countless pils, and then varied the flavor and aroma hops, sometimes using only one variety. That would be my course of action for Edelweiss.

Off-topic:  My ranking of favorite bittering hops for pilsners:

1. Clusters - classic old school beer flavor
2. Styrian Goldings - same as above, just need more
3. Perle - elegant almost minty bittering
4. Northern Brewer - the berry kind of flavor they add is a bit different, but paired with a good Hallertauer hop can be real good
5. Magnum - the halibut/walleye of hops - they don't add any flavor

Least favorite:

1.  Galena - there's a reason why these hops were named after a lead sulfide mineral

Man, how dare you talk mean about my lovely Galena!! I love Galena for its bittering, not as smooth as Magnum, not as distinct as Chinook. It's just right.

RE: Edelweiss hop usage, I've used a ton of them, usually Edelweiss has a respectable AA level, Ive used it at the beginning of the boil to great effect, but it really is a remarkable flavor and aroma hop

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2023, 04:31:12 pm »
Update: I friggin love these Edelweiss Hops (5.80%) Maybe more so than CZ Saaz but should do a side by side comparison. Used in a German style pilsner at a total IBU of 44. Hopped @ 75, 10,5 & 30min whirlpool at flameout.  Need to purchase some more!!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 06:49:10 am »
One keg of my Edelweiss Germen Pils is finished. I'm finding it herbal, not so floral. Comments?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 04:05:24 pm »
One keg of my Edelweiss Germen Pils is finished. I'm finding it herbal, not so floral. Comments?

I don't get herbal at all. I definitely pick up floral notes. One aspect is that it is "soft"? on the palette and the bitterness is absent of any harshness. Waiting on Ted to get back with me so I can purchase more!!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2023, 09:57:03 am »

interesting, I find it floral, "soft" with a very subtle herbal character, that doesnt venture into the dusty basement character that I sometimes get from HMF.