General Category > All Grain Brewing

Mash ppm in = Mash ppm out?

(1/2) > >>

The Rabid Brewer:

Any references as to how much of the minerals in the mash water make it to the kettle?

To a first order, ppm in = ppm out.

However, there are certain other factors involved such as the precipitation of Ca by HCO3.

Also, will the grain retain water but not minerals such that the mash water out has a higher ppm? Or is it just the opposite in that the grain retains minerals and not water making the mash water out have a lower ppm?

Brian

adrie:
Interesting question.

Ca does not precipitate with HCO3 in the mash but with phosphates.

dcbc:
I asked this question with reference to grain absorption a few months ago.  The closest thing to a consensus I got on the subject was that it was reasonable to assume that the grain would absorb the minerals dissolved in the mash water they absorbed.  In other words, for purposes of determining kettle mineral additions, the first runnings would not be presumed to have a higher concentration of minerals as a result of the grain absorbing water, but not minerals.

The Rabid Brewer:
I'm already doing that in my brewing, but my technical curiosity got the better of me and I'm looking for references to work that has been done in this area to actually measure what's going on.

--- Quote from: dcbc on October 04, 2010, 09:29:18 AM ---I asked this question with reference to grain absorption a few months ago.  The closest thing to a consensus I got on the subject was that it was reasonable to assume that the grain would absorb the minerals dissolved in the mash water they absorbed.  In other words, for purposes of determining kettle mineral additions, the first runnings would not be presumed to have a higher concentration of minerals as a result of the grain absorbing water, but not minerals.

--- End quote ---

dcbc:
Good luck. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version