Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast  (Read 2345 times)

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
Re: WY3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2023, 04:22:38 pm »
i wonder when say, bavaria, first tasted bananas?

they may just have been enjoying this flavour in wheat beers before anyone or likely peasants had ever tasted a banana. pretty interesting.

I'm guessing Weissbier didn't always have banana and/or clove, though. I wonder when that became the standard.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2023, 08:19:17 am »

they may just have been enjoying this flavour in wheat beers before anyone or likely peasants had ever tasted a banana. pretty interesting.

I'm guessing Weissbier didn't always have banana and/or clove, though. I wonder when that became the standard.

why do you think it didnt at one time?

i would.imagine phenolic yeast was more common going back in time, as i believe yeasts lacking phenolics were selected and maintained over time as preferable. ie. english strains and lager beers' growth

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2023, 05:26:27 pm »

why do you think it didnt at one time?

i would imagine phenolic yeast was more common going back in time

Well that certainly makes sense, and it would explain the presence of clove. It wouldn't explain banana, which is an ester, not a phenol.

I wonder how far back historical references go for Weissbier, and when the oldest mention of banana was. Maybe someone should ask Andreas Krennmair.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2023, 01:56:42 pm »
My two cents on weissbier:

1. WY3333 is the way to go. Very nice balance. WY3068 has a little too much clove for my tastebuds.

2. You want to drink weissbier fresh, as it loses those esters with time. Which is why I don't brew many of them any more, unless I'm having an event and can count of folks to drink up a keg. Plus, Wyeast made WY3333 a special release so its hard to get a hold of.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2023, 02:20:51 pm »
My two cents on weissbier:

1. WY3333 is the way to go. Very nice balance. WY3068 has a little too much clove for my tastebuds.

2. You want to drink weissbier fresh, as it loses those esters with time. Which is why I don't brew many of them any more, unless I'm having an event and can count of folks to drink up a keg. Plus, Wyeast made WY3333 a special release so its hard to get a hold of.

I was told last weekend that if 10 people request a yeast, they'll release it
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2023, 05:07:28 pm »
Thanks Denny. I just submitted my request. Wyeast site was kind of clunky as it wouldn't let me submit until I entered my company (NA for a homebrewer) or Wyeast  ID (which I don't have).

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2023, 06:22:33 pm »
interjecting on this subject, what do you guys think about weizenbocks, particularly dark weizenbocks?

i love aventinus, but banana isnt central in my tasting of it. what else can you get from weizen yeasts?

personally i actually love a clove forward one like hacker pschorr, being the one that i first ever tasted and actually one of the beers that really made me go "wow this is something very different"

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2023, 10:42:49 am »
I love me some weizenbock. Local brewery, Lewis and Clark, makes a tasty one: Big Belt Weizenbock.

What I like about WY3333, is that both the clove and banana are both relatively subdued, but the fruitiness is outstanding.

A great example of a weissbier with that kind of balance is Konig Ludwig.

Back to Wyeast: They responded to my request for WY3333 within 2 hours:

I’m sorry but we don’t know when 3333PC German Wheat will be available in Smack Packs again. I’ve added you to the “Customer Request” list. You’re not the only homebrewer asking for this strain so let’s hope that sways our Marketing Dept. to decide in your favor soon.

I like that...always blame the marketing department.  8)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2023, 10:54:17 am »
I love me some weizenbock. Local brewery, Lewis and Clark, makes a tasty one: Big Belt Weizenbock.

What I like about WY3333, is that both the clove and banana are both relatively subdued, but the fruitiness is outstanding.

A great example of a weissbier with that kind of balance is Konig Ludwig.

Back to Wyeast: They responded to my request for WY3333 within 2 hours:

I’m sorry but we don’t know when 3333PC German Wheat will be available in Smack Packs again. I’ve added you to the “Customer Request” list. You’re not the only homebrewer asking for this strain so let’s hope that sways our Marketing Dept. to decide in your favor soon.

I like that...always blame the marketing department.  8)

The "marketing dept" is a good friend.  I'll put in a word,  but no guarantees
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2023, 01:28:59 pm »
Ended up going from 1.048 —-> 1.010.  79%.

Beer has a bready, banana aroma.  Taste has a nice malt presence with obvious banana notes, but this is no banana “bomb”.  Little to no clove.  Drinks clean and refreshing.  Quite happy with this beer.  Wouldn’t hesitate to use 3068 again.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2023, 06:23:21 pm »

Beer has a bready, banana aroma.  Taste has a nice malt presence with obvious banana notes, but this is no banana “bomb”.  Little to no clove.  Drinks clean and refreshing.  Quite happy with this beer.  Wouldn’t hesitate to use 3068 again.

appreciate the notes. ive always been curious about the FG on weisse beers including commercial examples. im planning one in fall

Offline pv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2023, 07:50:30 am »

Echo these remarks.  My impression for this yeast was very similar for a 60% wheat, 5.3% ABV, 15 IBU hefeweizen.  When from 1.051 to 1.011 (78% attenuation).  Brewed 6/11/2023, kegged 6/18.2028.
Upstate South Carolina

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2023, 06:04:51 am »
appreciate the notes. ive always been curious about the FG on weisse beers including commercial examples. im planning one in fall

If you do some Googeln, you should be able to find the OG in Plato and the ABV for most major German beers. Should be easy to figure out the FG from there, right?

https://www.weihenstephaner.de/unsere-biere/hefeweissbier

Click Weitere Details and look for Stammwürze (OG) and Alkoholgehalt (ABV).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 06:07:31 am by saaz amore »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2023, 08:47:46 am »

If you do some Googeln, you should be able to find the OG in Plato and the ABV for most major German beers. Should be easy to figure out the FG from there, right?

https://www.weihenstephaner.de/unsere-biere/hefeweissbier

Click Weitere Details and look for Stammwürze (OG) and Alkoholgehalt (ABV).

that is true. i alwaya forget about the plato measurementa over there.