Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: carbonation  (Read 1024 times)

Offline trebor

• 1st Kit
carbonation
« on: October 03, 2010, 04:49:40 pm »
My pumpkin ale actually turned out very good with great flavors. It fermented quickly as the temps were in the 70's. But, all went well and I bottled after two weeks. After week three I tried the brew and it was good. After week three I re-tried the brew and it was greater with good head and carbonation. After week four I refrigerated a batch of about 12 bottles and the beer hazed which was fine. The problem was the carbonation disappeared....virtually flat when chilled. I am going to warm some up to see the results. The temp was probably in the low 40's. Too cold?  thanx

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: carbonation
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:25:03 pm »
The CO2 will stay dissolved in the cold beer better so it could just look like it's less carbonated, but if it's completely flat I think it is more likely that the cold bottles you tested just had a bad seal and were never carbonated in the first place.  I would check some others.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: carbonation
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:15:11 am »
The CO2 will stay dissolved in the cold beer better so it could just look like it's less carbonated, but if it's completely flat I think it is more likely that the cold bottles you tested just had a bad seal and were never carbonated in the first place.  I would check some others.

I suspect ill-fitting caps or a priming issue. Did you use Muntons carbonation drops?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis