Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What book should I buy with my AHA renewal code?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: What book should I buy with my AHA renewal code?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2023, 02:43:25 pm »
I reference BLAM more than the other two.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2023, 03:30:45 pm »

Same here. Radical isn't my thing. Tried a bunch of Gordon's recipes,  but his tastes are different than mine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2023, 03:45:09 pm »
According to the model, I should pick Stan Hieronymus' Brewing Local: American-Grown Beer.

It's my least favorite of his books in an otherwise very strong catalog. It falls victim to the same problem pretty much all of the BP books started falling into around that time where they tried to make the book a jack of all trades and a master of none. The first half of the book has little relation to one another. The encyclopedia of ingredients is good and covers many not covered by other homebrewing books about foraged or homegrown ingredients. The recipes in the back are good. IMO if you brew with garden or foraged ingredients, it's another one to add to the small pile of books on the subject. Otherwise, maybe one to pass.

A great book on the same subject is The Homebrewer's Almanac by the people at Scratch which includes a bunch of their actual ingredients.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2023, 08:09:13 am »

Same here. Radical isn't my thing. Tried a bunch of Gordon's recipes,  but his tastes are different than mine.

Thanks gentlemen.  Ordered.

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2023, 05:15:30 pm »
According to the model, I should pick Stan Hieronymus' Brewing Local: American-Grown Beer.

It's my least favorite of his books in an otherwise very strong catalog. It falls victim to the same problem pretty much all of the BP books started falling into around that time where they tried to make the book a jack of all trades and a master of none.

A great book on the same subject is The Homebrewer's Almanac by the people at Scratch which includes a bunch of their actual ingredients.

Ack. That's disappointing to hear. I already have The Homebrewer's Garden. Do you think BL:A-GB'd be redundant?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2023, 09:27:38 pm »
Ack. That's disappointing to hear. I already have The Homebrewer's Garden. Do you think BL:A-GB'd be redundant?

No, not really. The Homebrewer's Garden is narrowly focused on hops, grain and more traditional brewing and garden herbs. Brewing Local has a more expansive discussion of ingredients and comes with modern recipes from brewers. Brewing Local is also not about growing at all. If you're looking for an encyclopedia of ingredients you could brew with, Brewing Local is a better book. If you're looking for advice on growing those ingredients, it's not the book for you at all.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing