Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Blending  (Read 1724 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast Blending
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2023, 04:17:35 pm »
I have often done split batches with two different yeasts. That's a great way to compare the differences that each one makes. You could do that and then blend them a little at a time to see what you get.

Which, IMO, is the best way to do it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2023, 04:57:23 pm »
I don't think I have ever blended lager yeasts with ale yeasts, but I have often blended yeasts when targeting specific combinations of characteristics.  My best beers I've made are almost always from yeast blends.  (And less frequently, some of my worst beers too, TBH.)

I've taken some blends out to 5-7 generations, with reasonable consistency.  Some drift quickly, but some stay pretty close to the original blend.  I usually try to match reproductive speed & lag for that reason. 

Do it!  Best case scenario: your best beer ever.  Worst case scenario: probably still a drinkable beer.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2023, 07:14:00 pm »
I love it and do it often but never go past it repitch. Some of my best beers have been from blends. Do it and don’t let them talk you out of it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2023, 09:37:07 am »
What if you made the most delicious beer on planet earth, but had no way to duplicate it?
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2023, 09:38:55 am »
I am no biologist and I certainly appreciate the yeast propigating vendors out there.  Is this blending/grafting akin to the Lallemand Novalager yeast now marketed?  I have had wonderful results with Novalager.  Again - I have no biology background and may be missing the point entirely.  Novalager worked well out to about 8 total re-pitches for me (I quit at that point to brew some ales that I had been holding off brewing to see how well the re-pitched Novalager would go....)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2023, 09:48:57 am »
What if you made the most delicious beer on planet earth, but had no way to duplicate it?
Good question. My thoughts are to use new fresh yeast in the same proportions with the same recipe. If I decide to go with dry yeast I will weigh in grams and if I decide on liquid then I will measure with a graduated syringe. Assuming the final result is satisfactory I will try to replicate. If that too is satisfactory then I will collect a slurry and see how that performs. If that too is satisfactory then collect, repeat, decide. If it is an abject failure then I will tweak ingredients and/or process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2023, 12:02:16 pm »
I'm actually contemplating doing a little yeast blending today. Two weeks ago I brewed 19 gallons of English pale ale and split it with WY1469 West Yorkshire and WY1968 ESB. Today I'm brewing a ~1.075 American IPA with lots of Centennial and Cascade hops, and whatever leftover hops I have in the freezer. that strikes my fancy I'm going to use the yeast cakes of those, plus contemplating adding a packet of BRY-97 to each fermenter. This is likely my last brewing session for a while as I am having knee replacement surgery in August and may as well use those two packets up. Good news is I have 50 gallons of homebrew to see me through my recuperation. ;D

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2023, 08:34:52 am »
My experience is that it is uncontrollable and unpredictable. Personally  I don't like to brew like that.
I like unpredictable. It’s the unknown that may produce a positive outcome, similar to natural selection itself. I will assume that you have tried blending both types of yeast? Which brings me to your own yeast strain. How did you produce it?

I always shoot for repeatability since I like consistency in my beers from batch to batch.  Although you idea of blending lager and ale strains is intriguing,  it may not be repeatable especially if you re-pitch.  So I tend to agree with Denny on this.  But if it works for you, go for it.  That is what this hobby is all about, trying new things!

The only time I blend yeasts is ale/ale.  I use BE-256 to finish off my Tripel when the Wyeast 3522 peters out near the end of fermentation.  BE-256 gets me the last mile toward my desired FG.

Just my 0.02
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2023, 09:40:11 am »
My experience is that it is uncontrollable and unpredictable. Personally  I don't like to brew like that.
I like unpredictable. It’s the unknown that may produce a positive outcome, similar to natural selection itself. I will assume that you have tried blending both types of yeast? Which brings me to your own yeast strain. How did you produce it?

I always shoot for repeatability since I like consistency in my beers from batch to batch.  Although you idea of blending lager and ale strains is intriguing,  it may not be repeatable especially if you re-pitch.  So I tend to agree with Denny on this.  But if it works for you, go for it.  That is what this hobby is all about, trying new things!

The only time I blend yeasts is ale/ale.  I use BE-256 to finish off my Tripel when the Wyeast 3522 peters out near the end of fermentation.  BE-256 gets me the last mile toward my desired FG.

Just my 0.02

You've said this before, but I have never had that experience with 3522. It routinely takes my 1.080 Belgian IPA down to around 1.006. I use 2 packs in an SNS starter and pitch while active.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2023, 12:05:49 pm »

Just my 0.02

You've said this before, but I have never had that experience with 3522. It routinely takes my 1.080 Belgian IPA down to around 1.006. I use 2 packs in an SNS starter and pitch while active.

Yeah, I know.  Not sure why 3522 peters out on me.  I usually make a 2L starter for a 5 gallon batch using one pack of 3522 and slightly under pitch by about 37B cells (starter calculates to about 379B cells, with 416B cells recommended by Beer Smith).  The yeast ferments down the 80 SG (20 Plato) wort to about 16 SG (4 Plato) and the bubbling stops after about 10 days, which is why I add the BE-256 to get it down to about 1 degree Plato.  I suppose I could increase the starter to 2.5L which would have me over-pitching a bit.  I also make the starter the morning/afternoon before I brew the beer so the cells are active when I pitch the yeast and I have a short lag time.  It's a mystery!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified