Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old Newark Ale Yeast  (Read 20336 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Old Newark Ale Yeast
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 05:36:05 pm »
Not sure about that...the color that pours from surviving bottles of the Burton today is pretty much the same deep amber/copper hue that the IPA had when I drank it regularly in the late 60's and early 70's.  The aging may have darkened it somewhat, but I think most of the color just came from the malts used.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

beveragebob

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 12:55:36 pm »
In my tasting notes of both bottles off the Burton I drank indicate the color as "Dorothy's Ruby Red Slippers". Anchor's Old Foghorn is pretty close to BBA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 02:13:36 pm »
Bob, I finally located my notes from the BBA tasting we did!  I WILL get them posted.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 04:53:21 pm »
Bob, I finally located my notes from the BBA tasting we did!  I WILL get them posted.

I'll be anxious to see that too, Denny...as I recall,  I think you mentioned once that you tasted a sample from the 1934 brewing, right?
All of my bottles are from 1946 brewing, and bottled in 1960, 62, 63, 65, and 66 (x2).

Interesting stuff, it is...sure do wish I could have tasted it when it was first bottled or within a few years of that. 
AL
New Brunswick, NJ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 08:21:49 pm »
I hate you Denny, so very very much.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 08:40:35 am »
I've got some of the old newark yeast on the way... (along with some bug farm IV).  I've read a lot about ballantine in the past weeks, but there's a lot to go before tackling this project.  this kind of stuff is great guys!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 08:49:28 am »
Al, I think that's the correct year, but I'll have to check the bottle to be surr.

Tom...back atcha!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 08:34:05 am »
Check the gravity today, brewed on the 5th
It's down to 1.010, OG was 1.045
78% attenuation a bit higher then I expected
looks pretty clear
if anybody cares here is what I brewed
what do you think of this?

Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 7.063 gal
Boil Time: 1.500 hr
Efficiency: 80%
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.011
ABV: 4.5%
Bitterness: 19.0 IBUs (Rager)
Color: 15 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
                        Name  Type    Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
        Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain  4.750 lb    Yes   No   79%   2 L
  Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain  4.000 oz    Yes   No   74%  40 L
 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 16.000 oz    Yes   No   72% 120 L
                 Munich Malt Grain 16.000 oz    Yes   No   80%   9 L
                 Vienna Malt Grain 16.000 oz    Yes   No   78%   4 L
            White Wheat Malt Grain  8.000 oz    Yes   No   86%   2 L
               Special Roast Grain  4.000 oz    Yes   No   72%  50 L
Total grain: 8.750 lb

Hops
================================================================================
       Name Alpha   Amount     Use       Time   Form IBU
 Willamette  4.7% 0.500 oz    Boil   1.000 hr Pellet 9.9
    Cascade  5.0% 0.500 oz    Boil 30.000 min Pellet 5.8
   Amarillo  7.2% 0.500 oz    Boil 10.000 min Pellet 3.3
   Amarillo  7.2% 0.500 oz   Aroma    0.000 s Pellet 0.0
   Amarillo  7.2% 1.000 oz Dry Hop   1.000 hr Pellet 0.0

Misc
              Name        Type  Use    Amount    Time
 pH 5.2 Stabilizer Water Agent Mash 2.029 tsp 0.000 s
        Irish Moss      Fining Boil 0.000 tsp 0.000 s

Yeast
           Name Type   Form      Amount   Stage
 Old Newark Ale  Ale Liquid 125.000 gal Primary

Mash
               Name     Type    Amount    Target       Time
           DOUGH IN Infusion 4.091 gal 154.000 F   1.000 hr
 Final Batch Sparge Infusion 4.109 gal 165.200 F 15.000 min

Dan S. from NJ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 09:53:12 am »
I think the percentage of crystal is a bit too high, but that's just my taste.  I still want to try it though :)
Tom Schmidlin

beveragebob

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 08:40:20 pm »
"Bob, I finally located my notes from the BBA tasting we did!  I WILL get them posted."

Sounds good Denny! In all the moves in the past 3.5 years, I'm having a hard time finding archived notes from that and other sessions I've experienced. Thanx! But, I'll never the forget the color of the Burton beers in my Douglas Scotch Ale glasses as being ruby red. Like I said before, all of my tastings reflect the Brockington notes from the mid 90's. It'll be interesting to see the data Denny has. I left the empty for his collection and I don;t remember when the bottling was.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:56:16 pm by beveragebob »

Offline ninab

• 1st Kit
Re: Old Newark Ale Yeast/East Coast Yeast
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 02:38:45 pm »
Hey folks - this is NinaB, wife, sidekick and brewers enabler to Al B, the bugfarmer.  East Coast Yeast is a hobby-based business (read - more about passion and fun than cash) out of Central NJ.  Had no idea there was so much chatter on other homebrew boards about ECY's cultures, so since you all are interested, thought I'd let you know what we're up to:

We had our FB page up (albeit minimally useful) and ran into some trouble with the powers that be in FB.  Think I got that straightened out and the page is back up.  Webpage is still pending although we've registered the domain name. Right now we don't plan to take direct orders for individuals - as you all seem to know, the best way to get ECY cultures is through Princeton Homebrew.  This seems the most feasible way to get cultures out for now.  If you plan to drive over to Joe's for cultures, we recommend calling first.  Joe's also been shipping cross-country.  Right now we're aiming to drop off some bottles at Joe's next weekend - I'll try to get details up on Facebook.

We have some other ideas for getting cultures out (like taking large homebrew club orders for bulk delivery or ship) and Al's had some projects with The Bruery (CA), Dock Street (Philly), Goose Island (Chicago), and with Rogue (Eugene)....but like I said, this is hobby level (damn those day jobs!) so please bear with us as we figure this out!   
Happy Brewing,
NinaB

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Re: Old Newark Ale Yeast/East Coast Yeast
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 01:15:35 am »
Hey folks - this is NinaB, wife, sidekick and brewers enabler to Al B, the bugfarmer.  East Coast Yeast is a hobby-based business (read - more about passion and fun than cash) out of Central NJ.  Had no idea there was so much chatter on other homebrew boards about ECY's cultures, so since you all are interested, thought I'd let you know what we're up to:

We had our FB page up (albeit minimally useful) and ran into some trouble with the powers that be in FB.  Think I got that straightened out and the page is back up.  Webpage is still pending although we've registered the domain name. Right now we don't plan to take direct orders for individuals - as you all seem to know, the best way to get ECY cultures is through Princeton Homebrew.  This seems the most feasible way to get cultures out for now.  If you plan to drive over to Joe's for cultures, we recommend calling first.  Joe's also been shipping cross-country.  Right now we're aiming to drop off some bottles at Joe's next weekend - I'll try to get details up on Facebook.

We have some other ideas for getting cultures out (like taking large homebrew club orders for bulk delivery or ship) and Al's had some projects with The Bruery (CA), Dock Street (Philly), Goose Island (Chicago), and with Rogue (Eugene)....but like I said, this is hobby level (damn those day jobs!) so please bear with us as we figure this out!   
Happy Brewing,
NinaB

Nina, just out of curiositry, where in Central NJ are you guys?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline ninab

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 05:38:37 pm »
MrNate - we're in Hillsborough.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 08:42:52 pm »
In my tasting notes of both bottles off the Burton I drank indicate the color as "Dorothy's Ruby Red Slippers". Anchor's Old Foghorn is pretty close to BBA
The comparison of Old Foghorn to BBA is probably a very good one and not just for the similarity in color you perceived, since if the folklore is to be believed  Mr. Maytag was evidently very inspired by a taste of the BBA.

Strange how I never considered it before, but as a result of  the BBA sample he tasted probably being only 5 or 10 years from the original bottling date, it could very well be that Foghorn represents at least some  approximation of what the BBA was when Fritz tasted it, except that Foghorn lacks the explosive hop aroma that the BBA certainly had (and is now lost to age in existing samples).  The intense aroma of Ballantine's ales was pretty unique back then and would still be quite unique today.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 07:47:29 am »
MrNate - we're in Hillsborough.

Well then howdy, neighbor!  ;D
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”