Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentis #US-05  (Read 1901 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Fermentis #US-05
« on: July 10, 2023, 07:22:46 am »
This is my first time using this yeast (US-05).  It was a very slow to start — like 36 hours before any notable action.  I pitched 1 pkg., dry, in a 5 gallon batch at 1.065 SG.

Is slow starts normal for this yeast?  I’m use to 8-12 hour starts using starters.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Fermentis #US-05
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 07:46:58 am »
I haven't used 05 in a while, but it was always a reliably quick starter for me.  What temperature did you pitch at?

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 07:55:48 am »
Was the yeast past its expiration date?  While usually still quite usable, I have encountered slow starts with some dry yeast strains that are beyond the manufacturers expiration date assigned to the batch.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 08:38:20 am »
I brewed yesterday. I pitched one packet of 05 into a 1.045 american wheat @70F with chest freezer set to 65F. About 16 hours later I am seeing airlock activity.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 08:58:04 am »
I don't usually get slow starts with 05, but many report that they do. I wouldn't worry about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online BrewBama

Fermentis #US-05
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 09:36:23 am »
I believe you under pitched so sluggish performance should be expected. (Only pitched 75% of recommendation).

Rule of thumb: Pitch 5.5 grams of dry Ale yeast or 11 grams of dry Lager yeast per gravity point divided by 25 in a 5 gal batch. (K. Yager).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 10:02:52 am by BrewBama »

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 09:59:04 am »
Just because you can't see it working (no airlock activity) doesn't mean yeast is not doing its job. I wouldn't start thinking something is wrong until well past 48 hours.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 10:48:13 am »
I can only chime in that I have used it quite a bit and usually see activity within 12 hours.  But, I am no pro so take it for what it is worth. 

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 03:57:53 pm »
It’s one of my go-tos and I normally see action within 6 hours. Obviously YMMV.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 06:04:39 pm »
This is my first time using this yeast (US-05).  It was a very slow to start — like 36 hours before any notable action.  I pitched 1 pkg., dry, in a 5 gallon batch at 1.065 SG.

Is slow starts normal for this yeast?  I’m use to 8-12 hour starts using starters.

Slightly under-itched hence the longer than usual lag. It's a very forgiving yeast. 36 hours is still within a reasonable window

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2023, 05:53:27 am »
Dry yeast is very robust.  If you just bought this yeast, my guess is it saw the 1.065 gravity as a slight challenge possibly because it's summer and the yeast packet might have experienced high shipping temperatures at some unknown point between manufacture & now.  No worries.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2023, 06:55:14 am »
I haven't used 05 in a while, but it was always a reliably quick starter for me.  What temperature did you pitch at?

I normally pitch around 70°.  It may have been a bit warmer — say mid to high 70’s.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2023, 06:56:36 am »
Was the yeast past its expiration date?  While usually still quite usable, I have encountered slow starts with some dry yeast strains that are beyond the manufacturers expiration date assigned to the batch.

The use by date was mid 2024, if memory serves.
Joliet, IL

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2023, 07:12:59 am »
I believe you under pitched so sluggish performance should be expected. (Only pitched 75% of recommendation).

Rule of thumb: Pitch 5.5 grams of dry Ale yeast or 11 grams of dry Lager yeast per gravity point divided by 25 in a 5 gal batch. (K. Yager).

I think this was my issue.  I’ve been from the school of thought that said 1 packet of dry yeast is good for a 5 gallon batch.  I guess that school of thought is a bust!  The good news is I’m in day 2 of a very vigorous fermentation.  Yesterday evening, I brought the temp down to 62° and it’s going strong!

Thanks all for the ideas and input!

Cheers!
Joliet, IL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2023, 08:11:22 am »

I think this was my issue.  I’ve been from the school of thought that said 1 packet of dry yeast is good for a 5 gallon batch.  I guess that school of thought is a bust!  The good news is I’m in day 2 of a very vigorous fermentation.  Yesterday evening, I brought the temp down to 62° and it’s going strong!

Thanks all for the ideas and input!

Cheers!

FWIW, I have never found one pack not enough up to about 1.070
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell