Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Granola?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline jfin

• 1st Kit
Granola?
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:26:49 am »
So the other day I was sipping on an IPA eating a dried granola snack and it occurred to me that I could use it in a oatmeal stout.  I was eating maple nut granola, so no fruit.  There should be lots of fermentables in this stuff.  I was thinking of seeping it in 155*F water before the boil with the grain.  Maybe a pound should do it.  Has anyone tried this? 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Granola?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:26:33 pm »
Just remember there's quite a bit of fat in granola. Might affect head retention. However, I've thought of it myself and think the flavor profile would complement many a beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jfin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 04:36:24 am »
Wouldn’t you gain head retention by dispensing with nitrogen?  I have always had a problem with too much head dispensing with nitrogen.  Just haven't perfected it yet

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:30:42 am »
Wouldn’t you gain head retention by dispensing with nitrogen?  I have always had a problem with too much head dispensing with nitrogen.  Just haven't perfected it yet

Not necessarily.  The oils could still cause poor retention. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:08:19 pm »
Rather than going with granola, it might be interesting to use one of those multi-grain hot cereal blends.  Such as:

Offline jfin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 06:11:01 am »
That’s a good idea.  As well as the cereal you could add honey and brown sugar to give the complexity of flavors granola has.  That is what I was trying to accomplish anyway.

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:00 pm »
That’s a good idea.  As well as the cereal you could add honey and brown sugar to give the complexity of flavors granola has.  That is what I was trying to accomplish anyway.

Some things to consider:
- You'll probably get the most flavor out of the stuff by toasting it on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or so (or until it starts to smell like cookies in the kitchen).    I've done this when using just straight oats, and it seemed to make a difference.

- These cereals tend to be pretty high in protein...   If it was me, I might throw in a 25 minute rest at 130-135 degrees.  Then again, if you're only using a pound or so it might not be a big deal.

Offline jfin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 03:44:07 am »
You think a pound isn’t enough? How many rolled oats do you typically use in 5 gallons?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 01:18:24 pm »
I use a pound of oats per 5 gallons, and as BLATZ mentioned, toasting them is the bomb... Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!