General Category > Ingredients

Granola?

(1/2) > >>

jfin:
So the other day I was sipping on an IPA eating a dried granola snack and it occurred to me that I could use it in a oatmeal stout.  I was eating maple nut granola, so no fruit.  There should be lots of fermentables in this stuff.  I was thinking of seeping it in 155*F water before the boil with the grain.  Maybe a pound should do it.  Has anyone tried this? 

euge:
Just remember there's quite a bit of fat in granola. Might affect head retention. However, I've thought of it myself and think the flavor profile would complement many a beer.

jfin:
Wouldn’t you gain head retention by dispensing with nitrogen?  I have always had a problem with too much head dispensing with nitrogen.  Just haven't perfected it yet

denny:

--- Quote from: jfin on October 05, 2010, 03:36:24 AM ---Wouldn’t you gain head retention by dispensing with nitrogen?  I have always had a problem with too much head dispensing with nitrogen.  Just haven't perfected it yet

--- End quote ---

Not necessarily.  The oils could still cause poor retention. 

zorch:
Rather than going with granola, it might be interesting to use one of those multi-grain hot cereal blends.  Such as:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version