Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BoneHead WCIPA  (Read 782 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
BoneHead WCIPA
« on: September 17, 2023, 08:23:21 am »
OKAY! I made a major blunder yesterday brewing my WCIPA and forgot to add 4lbs of sugar. Sad part is I didn't realize until now. Fermentation is well under way and to say I am pissed would be an understatement. OG went from 1.065 designed to 1.055 actual.

What are my options for adding the sugar today?

Or should I just leave it out all together?

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
Re: BoneHead WCIPA
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 08:32:46 am »
OKAY! I made a major blunder yesterday brewing my WCIPA and forgot to add 4lbs of sugar. Sad part is I didn't realize until now. Fermentation is well under way and to say I am pissed would be an understatement. OG went from 1.065 designed to 1.055 actual.

I’d put the sugar in a clean 10 qt pot and add an equal amount of water. Bring it to a simmer then put the lid on, turn off the heat, and let it sit covered on the burner till it’s room temperature/cool to the touch. Then add to the fermenter. This is exactly how I add sugars for specialty beers and my tripel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 08:33:58 am »
BTW Bonehead IPA = a great beer name!

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 08:35:30 am »

Bummer! You could try boiling the sugar in some water, cooling, and then adding to the fermenter...you're early into fermentation, so I don't think it would really hurt, and today (or tomorrow) is the day to make a move. You'd want to make sure the solution was thin enough so you don't end up with syrup sticking to the side of your fermenter. That would be my suggestion, at least. You might dilute things a little bit than intended, but if the intended effect is to dry out your IPA and bump up ABV a touch, it can't hurt. It would take a decent bit of water to dissolve 4 lb of sugar...maybe a gallon? Half gallon? You'll have to see what feels right. A gentle stir with a sanitized spoon is also a good idea for an extra precaution (although I also think the effects of active fermentation would mix up things).
On the other hand, a 1.055 IPA isn't the end of the world, too. It will probably be a little less crisp on the finish, but still very serviceable. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 08:44:35 am »
Just like adding sugar as priming agent…boil to make sure no contaminants remain.  But just dumping it in will likely be ok, too.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 08:54:56 am »
Go ahead and add ASAP. Boil it with as little water as it takes to get it to dissolve.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 11:05:51 am »
You don't need to sanitize sugar. Pour it in.
Your yeast has been given a head start with a lower gravity to start.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 11:34:14 am »

It can be added as others suggest. With a 10 pt difference between expected and measured OG, is 4lbs the right amount? 1 lb adds about 9pts in 5 gallons. Four lbs of sugar would be close to 10 pts in a 20 gallon batch.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 02:25:53 pm »

It can be added as others suggest. With a 10 pt difference between expected and measured OG, is 4lbs the right amount? 1 lb adds about 9pts in 5 gallons. Four lbs of sugar would be close to 10 pts in a 20 gallon batch.

Correct, this is a 18 gallon batch.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 02:33:46 pm »
Ok, after some thought and taking into consideration the response from members. I decided to bring 4 lbs (1/2 gallon) of un-chlorinated water and 4 lbs of sugar to a boil, simmer for ten minutes, cover and let cool to 68*F. Basically making a simple syrup. I should have enough head space in the fermenter so as not to create too much of a mess during fermentation blowoff. Blowoff tube going into a gallon jug of sanitizer so should be good.

Definitely going to name this recipe Bonehead IPA!!

Thanks for the replies people!!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2023, 04:21:39 pm »
Just throw the sugar in. I do it all the time.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023, 06:07:19 pm »
Ok, after some thought and taking into consideration the response from members. I decided to bring 4 lbs (1/2 gallon) of un-chlorinated water and 4 lbs of sugar to a boil, simmer for ten minutes, cover and let cool to 68*F. Basically making a simple syrup. I should have enough head space in the fermenter so as not to create too much of a mess during fermentation blowoff. Blowoff tube going into a gallon jug of sanitizer so should be good.

Definitely going to name this recipe Bonehead IPA!!

Thanks for the replies people!!
It’ll work out fine. If we all named our beers for supposed missteps, half the home brewed beers might be called “Bonehead”.

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2023, 04:00:44 pm »
I have heard that some breweries won't add their dextrose addition until after the malt sugar is fermented out. It seems like a major pain in the :-X but the yeast will have an easier time fermenting the malt sugars before the dextrose. Typically, yeast will ferment the simpler sugars first.

I have to imagine a brewer who discovered this technique made the same mistake!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 08:21:50 am »
I have heard that some breweries won't add their dextrose addition until after the malt sugar is fermented out. It seems like a major pain in the :-X but the yeast will have an easier time fermenting the malt sugars before the dextrose. Typically, yeast will ferment the simpler sugars first.

I have to imagine a brewer who discovered this technique made the same mistake!

I always add sugar directly to the kettle. No problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell