Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "lost beer"  (Read 2949 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
"lost beer"
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:52:25 am »
I must say I'm amazed at the stories at lost beer on these boards.  I brew a minimum of 20 gallons a month, and havn't lost a beer yet.  (I'm hoping to someday)  Maybe it's because I'm so anal about storage and label everything, and know which is oldest beer.  Or, maybe it's because I drink too much, there's no time to lose anything.  I just got a small chest freezer that will eight corny's, so maybe I'll have a better chance now......  I've got it half full, with still two corny's in my serving kegerator.  Brewed two, ten gallon batches this past weekend.  (but probably drank half that, LOL)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: "lost beer"
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:54:45 am »
It's fun and interesting to discover a beer you didn't know you had tucked away.  It's only happened to me twice...fortunately both times the beers were ones with a higher ABV:   a couple bottles of my Christmas ale that escaped my gift-list and got laid aside for 5 years, and a few bottles of a Scotch Ale I made in or around 1994.  I've sampled them with surprisingly good results...the last one I tasted was a bottle of the Scotch Ale, which I opened last year (and I still have 1 bottle left).  I was shocked at the depth of the malt character that still remained after all that time in the bottle (and it was bottled after spending 8 months in bulk in the Cornie)...perhaps thanks to the proportion of Munich I used, it was still a very rich tasting beer.  I'm sure the relatively  high OG (1.086) helped it to hang in there for so long.

Since discovering those bottles some years ago, I have now begun regularly laying aside a couple 22 ouncers of stronger brews that I thought came out particularly well,  just to see how they fare some years down the line.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:18:28 am »
It just happens. I've got an out of the way place where bottles and the odd keg gets stashed. Peek in there and it's "oh I still got some of that Saison left? Or keg of Cider!!"  ;D

My friends would drink all my beer if I let them. If they ever pitched in for ingredients I could brew more.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 04:04:29 pm »
I loose umpteen gallons a year using beer instead of currency for gratuities.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 11:01:28 am »
I have a freezer kegerator that holds 6 cornies for serving and a fridge that holds up to 6 cornies  for lagering/carbonating so that when I need a keg in the kegerator there's always one ready to go.  So my lost keg had just been in the fridge for a year hiding out with all the others
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:42:22 pm »
I'm trying to lose a case of Strong Scotch Ale but it's getting harder and harder as the temps continue to drop.  ;)
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 01:56:58 pm »
I've got to lose 30 bottles of the Mortgage Killer after it gets bottled. Fortunately, that's what the cellar will be for!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison