Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crock pot?  (Read 9903 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Crock pot?
« on: October 04, 2010, 02:29:25 pm »
Hey, I'm heading to hunting camp this weekend, and am looking for a good crock pot recipe of some kind.  I like to prepare something at home, so when I get to camp (actually, camp is a farm house in the country), I can plug in the crock pot when I leave in the morning.  When we get back to camp after a day of hunting followed by drinking, dinner is ready with minimal activity.

In the years past, I have made both green and red chili, pollo con arroz, and Slovakian goulash.  I thought I would poll the master chefs at the forum here, to see if anyone has developed a killer crock pot recipe.

To start it off, here's the Slovakian goulash recipe:

4 lbs. Pork shoulder (Boston butt), cubed
- 1 tbs ground black pepper
- 2 large onions
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 1 tbs cumin
- 2 tbs sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 tbs hot Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
 - 2 lbs sauerkraut
- 1 cup cream (sweet)
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 can vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of salt

Put the oil (or pork fat) into a pot and then fry the diced onions. Then add the pork (which should be cut up into cubes) to the frying onions. After 15 minutes or so, once the juices are escaping from the meat, then tansfer to the crock poyt.

Add the salt, cumin, pepper, paprika and pour in the broth. Set the crock on low.

When you get back to camp, add the saurkraut and cook for an hour. Meanwhile, boil up a pot of egg noodles.

Add the cream to the pork n kraut and let it cook for a further five minutes.

Finally add the soy sauce and cook for the remaining five minutes.

Serve over the noodles.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Crock pot?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:45:58 pm »
Darn I'm hungry now!

The soysauce looks a little odd but one finds it in lots of recipes these days. Looks good to me.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:50:28 pm »
Countdown to Cappozoli's head exploding, in three, two, one....

;D  Sorry if that catches you confused, bit of an old forum joke about crockpots (and one user's intense phobia of them).

The last paprika I bought was serbian.  Much cheaper than hungarian...I can't tell much difference, but then I'm not comparing them side by side in similar recipes, or eating it straight.  I should probably test that! 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:53:25 pm »

zero.....blastoff!!!!

Very nice looking recipe.

I love my crockpot...very savory recipes come from my crockpot too.
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 03:19:41 pm »
NO MORE CROCK POTS.......EVER!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 03:39:08 pm »
Beans would be another good idea. Especially a cassoulet. That would probably do well in a crock pot at a hunting camp.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:42:56 pm »
After a long day in the cold hunting or especially snowmobiling(when you're whipped), there's not much better than having a couple brews and diving into a nice hot, low fuss, filling meal from the crockpot! Can't tell ya how good it smells in the cabin or motel room when you get back from a long day on our beautiful U.P. trails!   8)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »
Chumley that Slovakian gulash is called Segedin gulash. (say ga deen)

Soy sauce is a common ingredient in Slovakian cooking

I have had this dish many times in Slovakia. I notice some inconsistencies with your recipe though (not that they are wrong just perhaps not authentic)

One is, never heard of cumin seed in there but they put in loads of caraway seeds, I would also add some marjoram, bay leaf and celery seed. Or diced celery root.

They also use sour cream not regular cream.

Then some butter flour roux so it gets a little thick.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 05:46:20 pm »

;D  Sorry if that catches you confused, bit of an old forum joke about crockpots (and one user's intense phobia of them).

The last paprika I bought was serbian.  Much cheaper than hungarian...I can't tell much difference, but then I'm not comparing them side by side in similar recipes, or eating it straight.  I should probably test that! 

Funny, I buy the Hungarian stuff. Didn't even know Serbia exported the stuff. Guess I'll need to give it a go.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:02:53 pm »
Funny, I buy the Hungarian stuff. Didn't even know Serbia exported the stuff. Guess I'll need to give it a go.

I would have bought hungarian, since I was making paprikash and gulyas, but I have a cheap streak a mile wide and they had the ljuta and...and..."sweet" (I forget!) varieties for very cheap by comparison.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 06:29:05 pm »
I get paprika from the Indian store for $1.99 per lb. Thats like 1/100th the cost of the stale stuff in a can.  :o

Oh, the Slovakian soy sauce is called sojova omacka (soy ova) (o mach ka)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 06:47:46 pm »
All paprika is is dried peppers ground up...the type of pepper (as well as any additional factors, such as smoking to dry, or roasting, etc) is going to make a huge difference.  I wonder what sort of differences an Indian pepper powder vs a Eastern European pepper powder might portend.

Peppers are fantastic...easily my favorite vegetable...chilis, capsicums/bell, love them all.  Roasted four of them and cooked them down with spices to stretch my jar of ajvar a bit further!

Oops, I'm getting carried away with a threadjack.  Crockpots are handy tools.  I use mine every now and again but I think I love the process of cooking too much to really get much benefit out of them.  Do you think on high they would get hot enough to use as a chinese "hot pot" kind of thing (ie., really hot broth, cooking thinly sliced meat and veg on skewers at the table)?  That would be a nice way to get more use out of the thing without buying a new space-consuming device just for the task.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 06:49:22 pm »
Oh, the Slovakian soy sauce is called sojova omacka (soy ova) (o mach ka)

Everything is - OVA!
Kmart-ova , Volgreens-ova, car-ova  it's just a universal suffix to slovakificate the words.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 06:53:09 pm »
Do you think on high they would get hot enough to use as a chinese "hot pot" kind of thing (ie., really hot broth, cooking thinly sliced meat and veg on skewers at the table)?  That would be a nice way to get more use out of the thing without buying a new space-consuming device just for the task.

I could probably pull off a fondue on mine if I kept the liquid level low(less than half). Have to make a full pot of anything, except oatmeal - that gets two hours at about half full and it's awesome.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 06:54:14 pm »
Cap I forget, are you Slovakian-in-law or Slovenian-in-law?  My Balkan IQ is improving but I'm still a bit fogged on all the variations still.  I will say that I'm enjoying Serbian food.  There's something about the food of countries we've formerly been at odds with...German, Italian, Japanese, Korean...I suppose I should add Iraqi cuisine to the list of "to learns".