Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew in a Bag?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brew in a Bag?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2023, 12:13:16 pm »
When I have a big hop load, I will clip the bag to a spoon to suspend it off the bottom of the kettle or use a stainless mesh hanging basket (utilization suffers a bit in my estimation); otherwise, I just dump hops in and swirl up in the chill down process using my Jaded immersion chiller as a big stirrer.  Again, it depends on the amount of hops and whether I intend to reuse yeast from a hoppy pitch.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2023, 12:28:27 pm »

The transfer valves come apart very easily. I pull them down to their individual parts and fling 'em into the Star•San to soak until they're needed.

Some do, some don't.

My LHBS has valves that have half the backnut closed-off to help keep the dead yeast out of the bottling bucket. If I knew how to post an image, I'd do so. The rotating part both moves and pops out of the stationary part very easily.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 12:31:38 pm by nvshooter2276 »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2023, 01:29:19 pm »

The transfer valves come apart very easily. I pull them down to their individual parts and fling 'em into the Star•San to soak until they're needed.

Some do, some don't.

My LHBS has valves that have half the backnut closed-off to help keep the dead yeast out of the bottling bucket. If I knew how to post an image, I'd do so. The rotating part both moves and pops out of the stationary part very easily.

You quoted the wrong post. I agree with you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2023, 09:48:16 pm »
The way this site provides for quoting others' posts confuses me. I ain't too smart, y'know. Having been a trucker for almost thirty years has reduced my ability to form rational thoughts and to subsequently express them in coherent verbiage.

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2023, 08:18:12 pm »
The way this site provides for quoting others' posts confuses me. I ain't too smart, y'know. Having been a trucker for almost thirty years has reduced my ability to form rational thoughts and to subsequently express them in coherent verbiage.

Now that’s funny. I drove for 18 years.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2023, 09:36:30 pm »
What about a hop bag with a few weigh-down marbles to keep the hop charge in the boil, and a ping-pong ball or two to keep the bag off the bottom of the kettle? Just lift each hop bag up and out when the boil is completed...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2023, 08:00:18 am »
What about a hop bag with a few weigh-down marbles to keep the hop charge in the boil, and a ping-pong ball or two to keep the bag off the bottom of the kettle? Just lift each hop bag up and out when the boil is completed...

Weights and floats are not needed. I lay a spoon or something across the top of the kettle and suspend the bags from it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell