Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewzilla  (Read 1315 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Brewzilla
« on: November 16, 2022, 05:24:17 pm »
 My Brewzilla arrived today. Got it unboxed. Seems like a nice unit. Going to be great for 5 gallon batches. I really like the idea that it's only 110v. And for $350, you can't beat it.
  I'm not real crazy about the whole BIAB concept. Nothing against it, it's just not how I want to brew. Also, if I used it as is, I would be limited to about a 13# gain bill. IIRC a lot of my brews were well north of that. So, my plan is as follows...
  The Brewzilla fits great in my kitchen counter which is where I plan to brew for now. I'm going to forget the included mash pipe and false bottom. I'm going to continue to use my Igloo mash tun. (black and red for optimal efficiency) I'll heat my entire water volume to strike temp, pump it over to my mash tun and doe in as usual. I'll crank the temp for the remaining volume to 180° for my sparge. Shortly before the boil is up, I'll run that off to a separate kettle. I'll then collect my first runnings into Brewzilla and raise to boil temp. Once those are collected, I'll sparge and collect second runnings and boil.
 After the boil, the pump on Brewzilla will give me the ability to whirlpool while I chill with my IC. (I'll be making my own 50' copper one and possibly use the included stainless as a prechiller) Once chilled I can place my fermenter on the floor and open the valve to dump.
  This really seems like it's going to be the best set up for my current situation. I plan to replace the valve with a stainless three piece and also make some other minor modifications. Wish me the best. I'll keep updating as work and being progresses.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewzilla
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 06:01:14 pm »
For immersion chillers, you might want to check into Jaded and CuSS - both make super efficient chillers that probably were not available back in the day prior to your hiatus.  They can chill super fast- nothing wrong with a diy, though.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 04:46:56 pm »
For immersion chillers, you might want to check into Jaded and CuSS - both make super efficient chillers that probably were not available back in the day prior to your hiatus.  They can chill super fast- nothing wrong with a diy, though.

Thanks. I'll look into it. I already have the copper. My 9-5 is HVAC, so a pretty easy score for me. I'll start out DIY, but down the road look into other options. Got to much else to spend $ on right now, getting set up again. At the moment fermentation temp control takes priority. I refuse to brew a batch until I have that set up. No sense wasting ingredients or time when I can't ferment properly.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 08:54:41 am »

Thanks. I'll look into it. I already have the copper. My 9-5 is HVAC, so a pretty easy score for me. I'll start out DIY, but down the road look into other options. Got to much else to spend $ on right now, getting set up again. At the moment fermentation temp control takes priority. I refuse to brew a batch until I have that set up. No sense wasting ingredients or time when I can't ferment properly.

The copper is the least part of it. It's Jaded's design that makes them incredible.  Or just go no chill.

Glad to hear you're back at it, Barry.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 01:57:24 pm »
I love my BrewZilla -- congrats! I find the chiller that comes with it is more than adequate. Can't imagine the need to go with anything else unless you live where water is extremely rationed. Even then I get mine down to desired temp (80-90F) pretty quickly then use the FV chamber to bring the temp the rest of the way down.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 06:02:53 pm »
 Got it fired up right now for a test run. Want to see how long it takes to heat, etc... So far I'm very pleased.

I'll try the chiller that comes with it. I guess for a 5 gallon batch it should be fine. I'm still back in the day of doing 12 gallon batches like I used to.   

Offline Gerardo65

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 05:51:01 pm »
Muchas gracias por la información, lo pondré en práctica mis mangas termoencogibles y dare visto bueno.