Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oak Cubes trouble shooting  (Read 5989 times)

Offline fulltun

• 1st Kit
Oak Cubes trouble shooting
« on: October 04, 2010, 07:12:10 pm »
Hello All,

I have a small problem that I was hoping to get some help on.  I have a lovely DIPA in the secondary that I added American Medium roast oak chips to.  1oz to five gallons.  I messed up by preboiling the oak cubes and then adding them.  i realized this as i was doing it.  Somewhere in the back of my brain a neuron fired and said don't boil, but alas I went ahead.  So now it has way too much oakiness in the beer.  Is there anyway to reduce this?  Add more water?  Thank you for your help.

Prost, Randy

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Oak Cubes trouble shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:51:26 pm »
Actually, boiling will remove some of the oakiness so the beer is now less oaky than it would have otherwise been.  I know guys who cook their oak chips in a pressure cooker and then just add the liquid to the beer.

The key here is really contact time based on surface/volume ratio.  Because of the larger surface area of chips, they need to spend a lot less time in the beer than cubes would in the same volume of beer to impart the same amount of oakiness.  Similarly, a barrel has less surface area per volume, so you age in a barrel for longer.

Anyway, the best way to solve the problem is to blend it with another beer.  If it is extremely oaky then you might just add a little bit to a batch to get the oak level you want.  Experiment in a glass before you go blending it 50/50 with something, or you might end up with 10 gallons of beer that is too oaky.  You can brew another DIPA, an IPA, or PA to blend it with.  It could be really nice with an Imperial Stout too, or lots of other styles depending on how much you need to add to get the oak level you want.

Let us know how it works out.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:55:58 pm »

Anyway, the best way to solve the problem is to blend it with another beer.  If it is extremely oaky then you might just add a little bit to a batch to get the oak level you want.  Experiment in a glass before you go blending it 50/50 with something, or you might end up with 10 gallons of beer that is too oaky.  You can brew another DIPA, an IPA, or PA to blend it with.  It could be really nice with an Imperial Stout too, or lots of other styles depending on how much you need to add to get the oak level you want.

+1

Some of the oakiness will fade with time but I would blend a non-oaked beer with it to the level of your liking.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:20:55 am »

+1

Some of the oakiness will fade with time but I would blend a non-oaked beer with it to the level of your liking.

I would avoid using American oak next time, or use it sparingly.  It is much stronger than a French or Hungarian oak (oakier?).
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 06:21:57 am »
If you want to learn more about wood then you ever wanted... The Brewing Network did show on Oak a few years back that really had a ton of information.  Not just on using Oak in different points in the brewing process, but information on toast levels, differences between American/French/Hungarian, when to use chips/cubes and what all of those things provide to the finished product.  There was also a lot of information about using wine yeast that was interesting. 

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sunday-Session/The-Sunday-Session-11-23-08-Shea-Comfort

The show is pretty information dense, and long, so I have found myself listening to it three times so far and usually pick up something that I did not the last time I listened.

Good luck!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:52:34 pm »
Wow thanx wingnut  :o
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline fulltun

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 05:26:55 pm »
Thank you for all the help.  Lots of good info here to help me out.