Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: full boil  (Read 5811 times)

Offline billbentley

• 1st Kit
full boil
« on: April 06, 2010, 03:51:40 am »
Is there any advantage to using a full boil in extract brewing in the outcome?

Offline parkerd21

• 1st Kit
Re: full boil
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 10:47:13 am »
From what I understand it can make a difference especialley in hop utilization.  I use a partial grain/extract method and have read about a technique to increase hop utilization.  At the beginning of the boil add 1/3 to 1/2 of the extract, add the hops according to schedule, and then add the remaining extract with about 15 minutes left in the boil. Add it slowly while stirring to keep it from going straight to the bottom of the pot and scorching. One trick is to  mix some of the wort into the jug and disolve the syrup before pouring it in. It seems to  work for me. Good Luck.

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:44:42 pm »
I haven't been doing full boils because of equipment limitations so I started using the method mentioned in the previous post where I use half the malt extract for the full boil and add the rest near the end of the boil.  I've been much happier with the beers and I've been using less hops because hop utilization is greatly increased. 

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:39:40 pm »
I haven't been doing full boils because of equipment limitations so I started using the method mentioned in the previous post where I use half the malt extract for the full boil and add the rest near the end of the boil.  I've been much happier with the beers and I've been using less hops because hop utilization is greatly increased. 

Just to save you a lot of typing in the future, you'll be happy to know that "the method..." is commonly referred to as the Extract-late method.
Joe

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 05:25:56 am »
Your beer will alway benefit from a full boil, I just always had a hard time trusting the water your topping off with.
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 09:00:59 am »
I don't know if this is sufficient, but this is why I preboil and cool (covered) about 2 gallons of water in a smaller stockpot... even if I think I have a full boil.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline parkerd21

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 10:27:49 am »
I just finished brewing an Imperial IPA using the extract late method and so far it's the best beer I've done. I hit the O.G. just about dead on and the it's very hop forward which I like. It's just about done primary fermentation. Another day or so and I'll be dry hopping.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:47:12 am »
Common convention prefers a full boil when doing extract. However, it is perfectly acceptable to do a partial boil and top off with cool water either preboiled or out of the tap.

Hop utilization isn't affected so much that can't be compensated by the addition of another half ounce of hops. The main concern is the Maillard reaction effect (caramelization). The wort can get a little darker and maybe the flavor affected. Additional toffee notes in your ESB isn't always a bad thing, but brewer's don't like deviations from their expectations. ;)  

It's just a tool in the brewer's hands. Understand the rules then bend them to your will...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:35:01 pm by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 01:26:19 pm »
euge - Maillard Reactions = darkening = melanoidins (colors, high molecular weight pigments), but those reactions are NOT caramelization.

Caramelization happens at temps much higher than occur in boiling wort.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 04:44:00 pm »
Thanks. Never thought of it that way. Learn something new everyday.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 06:41:05 pm »
I think what confuses people is the Maillard Reactions can create flavors which accompany the melanoidins which can present themselves as a depth of caramel flavor, but IMO it's important to realize caramel flavors do not automatically mean caramelization occurred and melanoidins are really colors/darkening or perhaps better stated, they are pigments.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tat2pompadore

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 08:56:58 am »
With all of the reading I have done, and such.  I agree with all of the above comments.  I would like to add, the full boil also helps break down protiens for a clearer end result.  So far so good on my brews.  As new as I am to this fine craft.  I hope this helps too.

Offline dave1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 12:15:10 pm »
I am new to AHA and I know this is a dated posting but here goes. My beer was so-so and seldom had a head.  I re-read Charlie's book and found that I wasn't bringing the wort to a full boil for the "ususal" 55 minutes.  As I added ingredients I would TIME 55 minutes but not BOIL for 55 minutes. After adjusting this my beers now have much more body and a nice head.