Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cherry Fever Stout Version  (Read 2344 times)

tbone3169

Cherry Fever Stout Version
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:48:39 am »
I'm still new to the homebrewing world and am trying my hand at a version of Papazian's cherry forever stout.  I have 2 questions of tweaks I plan on doing.

1.  Instead of 5lbs of cherries I have 3 oz of cherry extract.  I also found a 21 oz can of cherry pie filling in the pantry.  My question- Is it worth adding the can of cherry pie filling into the boil and if so at what point or will the extract be more than enough cherry flavor?

2.  My other question- In my pantry raid I also discovered a pure stick of chocolate from an island vacation my wife and I took.  Once again, I want to add this to the boil, just how much and at what time as to not over power the cherry taste.  Thoughts?

Any other suggestions or tweaks to this recipe to make a well balanced brew I would love to hear.

Thanks! 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Cherry Fever Stout Version
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:04:56 pm »
Read the can on the cherry pie filling and see what else is in there.  That should help guide you as to if you should use it.  And if you do use them, don't boil the cherries add them to the bucket after primary fermentation.

When you say pure stick of chocolate that means it's 100% cacao?  If so I would break it up and add that to secondary as well.  There's a thread on cacao nibs that should be a helpful read. 
Tom Schmidlin