Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much hops?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Re: How much hops?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2023, 01:48:35 pm »
I have tried to quote redrocker652002, but I keep getting the post from BrewBama. Must answer without the benefits of a quote...

Thank you for the info regarding that my two percent of the mass of the malt to be the mass of bittering hops may be too much. I can always go to 1.50 percent, which would be 2.136 ounces (934 grains) to bitter. I would assume the flavoring hops add a bit to the bitterness as well, so maybe all is not lost.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2023, 03:12:10 pm »
I have tried to quote redrocker652002, but I keep getting the post from BrewBama. Must answer without the benefits of a quote...

Thank you for the info regarding that my two percent of the mass of the malt to be the mass of bittering hops may be too much. I can always go to 1.50 percent, which would be 2.136 ounces (934 grains) to bitter. I would assume the flavoring hops add a bit to the bitterness as well, so maybe all is not lost.

Does that account for AA%?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2023, 04:50:31 pm »
Sounds like you're switching from Mr. Beer, or the likes, to putting together your own recipes. If this is the case, you should download a trial version of BeerSmith, Brewers Friend or other brewing software to help design recipes. Getting a copy of How To Brew (4th edition) by John Palmer would also be a good idea.

Having bought this book based on many people suggesting it, I have found it to be a rather unhelpful reference guide for me.  To me, and please no flaming as this is just my opinion, the book is way to technical for me.  I found reading it confused me more than I already was.  I have found that getting info from here and another web forum has helped me more than that book has.  Now, maybe once I get deeper into it I might revisit the book, for now it has found a spot on the shelf with the other books I have read, or attempted to read and found to be a bit over my head. 

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2023, 05:38:54 pm »
Sounds like you're switching from Mr. Beer, or the likes, to putting together your own recipes. If this is the case, you should download a trial version of BeerSmith, Brewers Friend or other brewing software to help design recipes. Getting a copy of How To Brew (4th edition) by John Palmer would also be a good idea.

Having bought this book based on many people suggesting it, I have found it to be a rather unhelpful reference guide for me.  To me, and please no flaming as this is just my opinion, the book is way to technical for me.  I found reading it confused me more than I already was.  I have found that getting info from here and another web forum has helped me more than that book has.  Now, maybe once I get deeper into it I might revisit the book, for now it has found a spot on the shelf with the other books I have read, or attempted to read and found to be a bit over my head.
Yes, Palmer tends to be quite technical. That is understandable because of his background, but it is a common criticism of his books. I am glad you have a high shelf on which to put books over your head. :)
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2023, 08:50:11 pm »
I'm going to use bittering hops that have their AAs around 10 to 13 percent. Flavoring will be Cascade. Aroma will be some orphan Tettnang I've had hanging-around for the several years I've been waiting for the time to actually brew the beer and get it into my fermenter.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 09:17:12 am »
I'm going to use bittering hops that have their AAs around 10 to 13 percent. Flavoring will be Cascade. Aroma will be some orphan Tettnang I've had hanging-around for the several years I've been waiting for the time to actually brew the beer and get it into my fermenter.

I have used Magnum and Chinook for bittering and both have done well.  If you know the AA of the hop, and you are shooting for a Pale Ale, I would not go much about 50 or so IBU.  I have used 1/2 oz of Magnum in a Morebeer kit at 60 mins and it has worked out for me.  Chinook has also been most of the bittering hops I have used in the kits and recipes I have done.  To me, and again, I am simply a novice speaking from my experiences, anything over 50 gets into the IPA range.  I like them both and don't mind a more bitter beer, so that would not bother me too much.  I will let the pro's chime in, but to me over 50 is too much in a Pale. 

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2023, 10:43:13 pm »
I have 142.4 ounces (8.9 pounds; 4,037 grams) of Pale Ale LME.

Bittering hops will be one percent of the 8.9 pounds of malt syrup; 40.4 grams. Flavoring hops will be one-half of one percent of the mass; 20.2 grams. Going to use Cascade (6.1% AA) for flavoring. Aroma hops will be 0.25 percent of the mass; 10.1 grams. Going to use an orphan envelope of Tettnanger (3.1% AA) that's been taking-up space in my freezer since January 2021. The Tett was originally slated for use in an Amber because it came with the ingredients for a Basic Amber, but I don't see that type mentioned in any of the recipes I see around the web. The instruction sheet for the Amber specified just half an ounce, which didn't seem like much to me in five gallons of beer.

I have decided to use small percentages of the mass of the malt used for hopping so that I can duplicate the recipe if it comes-out good, or to change the amount of hops if the final product is lacking in taste. I'll keep this kind of information in a little book or pinned to the wall in my unused bathroom.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 10:52:07 pm by nvshooter2276 »