Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch Grain Choices  (Read 1912 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Kolsch Grain Choices
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2023, 11:21:16 am »
I am no maltster, but I have used a lot of malt over the years.  As I understand it, there is 2 row and 6 row malt based on the kernel alignment on the stalk (and having different specifications between the two as base malts, such as diastatic power, nitrogen levels, etc...).  Typically from there the maltster adjusts its process to arrive at the final lovibond to create the maltsters categorization of malts.  This would typically be the categories mentioned by Brew Bama.  Pils is usually very low (below 2 L) through Dark Munich (Light Munich might be at around 4-6L, or so, Dark at 8-10L, as an example.)  I had a Viking Extra Pale that was 1.7-1.9L, which is down in the Pils range.  Due to its makeup, 6 row typically has more enzymatic power than a comparatively similar Lovibond 2 row variety.

I could be wrong on any of the foregoing, but at this point in my life, I am starting to forget things that are not essential to the hobby.  I am just happy to get good results.

To add, there are Munich Malts up to 40 EBC, which is 14.7⁰Lovibond. Durst and Avangard make those 40⁰EBC Munich Malts.

When a recipe says Munich malt, I ask which one?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2023, 07:25:27 pm »
There is 2-row pale malt. Most people just call this 2-row, including me. But, technically we’re wrong when we just say 2-row.

There is also Pale Ale malt. That is generally 2-row barley but with with a different malting profile and darker color.

If we are wrong for calling it 2-row, then just about all the HBS are wrong and numerous authors of books too.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2023, 11:15:42 pm »
Yeah I always just understood two row to be American base malt by X maltster. Before “craft” malt it seemed to be a normal assumption
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2023, 09:00:05 am »
There is 2-row pale malt. Most people just call this 2-row, including me. But, technically we’re wrong when we just say 2-row.

There is also Pale Ale malt. That is generally 2-row barley but with with a different malting profile and darker color.

If we are wrong for calling it 2-row, then just about all the HBS are wrong and numerous authors of books too.

That is true. Which is why I ask people to be specific.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2023, 09:00:37 am »
Yeah I always just understood two row to be American base malt by X maltster. Before “craft” malt it seemed to be a normal assumption

No, it's not a recent problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell