Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alaskan Double Black IPA  (Read 1763 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Alaskan Double Black IPA
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:26:45 am »
Well, another brewery gets on the CDA bandwagon.

September 1st they released this beer.  I'm in Washington State and had a devil of a time finding this beer.  Actually, I haven't found it YET.  I live in the boonies, and each of the two (yes I said only two) that will carry this western washington (at least according to the Alaskan salesman) are each over 100 miles from my house.  (I guess one Tavern in Seattle, got ONE keg)

This may all be bull, but, that's what I was told. 

Anyway, a buddy is visiting his mother in Seattle, and driving right by the Ballard QFC where they have this in 22oz bottles.  They gave me a deal because a bought a full 12 bottle case.  He called me last night, and has it.  But, I won't get 'till 6pm PST tonight.

Has anyone had this?  I love the new CDA beers.  (Or whatever you want to call them, I don't care)  Did I just waste $100?

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Alaskan Double Black IPA
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:26:01 am »
Well, another brewery gets on the CDA bandwagon.

September 1st they released this beer.  I'm in Washington State and had a devil of a time finding this beer.  Actually, I haven't found it YET.  I live in the boonies, and each of the two (yes I said only two) that will carry this western washington (at least according to the Alaskan salesman) are each over 100 miles from my house.  (I guess one Tavern in Seattle, got ONE keg)

This may all be bull, but, that's what I was told. 

Anyway, a buddy is visiting his mother in Seattle, and driving right by the Ballard QFC where they have this in 22oz bottles.  They gave me a deal because a bought a full 12 bottle case.  He called me last night, and has it.  But, I won't get 'till 6pm PST tonight.

Has anyone had this?  I love the new CDA beers.  (Or whatever you want to call them, I don't care)  Did I just waste $100?
OK, so I got the Alaskan.  It's one of the better CDA's out there.  Very similar to Dechutte's.  Although my tasting partner said it was a bit too sweet.  (she's a hophead, one reason to keep her around)

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:56:45 pm »
I just opened my bottle tonight.  By far the roastiest cda I've had for sure.  That being said, the aroma is pretty balanced between roast and hops.  very interesting mix of citrusy and floral hops pressing up against the roast in the flavor.  quite bitter from the hops and a little bit astringent (from the roast malt I would presume).

I really enjoyed this as it's got the roast character that one expects in a black beer.  Too many cda's in my opinion don't give the roast much chance against the hops.  This one does and creates quite the orgy in the mouth.

It is a bit sweet.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:45:12 am »
I just opened my bottle tonight.  By far the roastiest cda I've had for sure.  That being said, the aroma is pretty balanced between roast and hops.  very interesting mix of citrusy and floral hops pressing up against the roast in the flavor.  quite bitter from the hops and a little bit astringent (from the roast malt I would presume).

I really enjoyed this as it's got the roast character that one expects in a black beer.  Too many cda's in my opinion don't give the roast much chance against the hops.  This one does and creates quite the orgy in the mouth.

It is a bit sweet.

Have you tried the Dechutte's?  Other than my own, it's the best I've had.  And my friend says she thinks all Alaskan beers are a bit sweet.  I wonder if their mash press creates this?

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:34:22 am »
Yeah I've had the deschutes cda.  It was a quite some time ago however, but if I recall, my gripe was the lack of roast, but very nice hop flavor and aroma.

I don't find Alaskan beers that sweet, just this one.  Even their barleywine isn't sweet to me.